1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on the fretboard on an SX's SJB75

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paulorr, Jul 18, 2007.

1. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I stopped by Daddy's on my way home this evening. They had a new Squire vintage modified jazz bass (the 75 version). I have been gassing for a natural finish jazz with the block markers.

I have to say it was total crap. The fretboard appeared to be unfinished and the black markers looked like they were painted on. Not worth $279 given what the SX's sell for. The Squire VM fretless is a much better looking bass than this one .... I would consider buying the fretless but no way the 75.

I was wondering. Is the SX "version" of the Squire (the SJB75C/NA) just as crappy as the Squire? I want to know specifically if the black markers on the SX are painted on or not? and are the SX fretboards poly'ed or left bare?

Thanks,

Paul

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not that I'm defending a bass I haven't seen by any means, but how can you complain that a rosewood board didn't have a finish on it when 99% of rosewood boards on basses have any finish on them at all? They are all bare. Just look around.

Perhaps it was just dry and needed lemon-oiled, as all rosewoods do eventually.

3. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    Oh I meant the maple version .... I realize these low cost basses won't have mother of pearl but having never seen an SX I was just curious.

4. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    You know the $800 Geddys have painted blocks too right?

5. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    The blocks on the SX are actual inlays. There is a good amount of wood filler used too, but you don't notice from a short distance (4+ feet).

The blocks on the Squier VM are actually painted; I don't see an issue with that. I don't like the soft maple they use for the body.

6. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I did not know that ....

7. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    the sx is a much nicer bass. first hand knowledge.

8. bassface73

bassface73 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Milford, CT
    Just got one of these basses. I can tell you that I played a Squier Vintage Modified last week and the SX is LEAGUES better. The neck is nice, not too chunky and not yellowish like I was expecting. The binding I think is plastic, but much nicer than the painted Squier. The blocks are real also and the fretwork is much better on the SX than the Squier.

This new SX I just got is better out of the box than the MIA 50th anniversay that I owned awhile back and better(feel and look, stock!) than the MIM I owned 2 years ago. It is an amazing deal. I am talking about the updated version here with the new pickups, bridge, and tuners. Huge improvements. BTW, I have owned 50+ basses in my life(3 ZON's, Sadowsky, Lakland, Modulus, Musicman, etc.) and this is a serious bargain. The only better deal I ever got was a ZON 5/1 for $650.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The SX feels like a cheap bass. The Squier feels like an expensive toy.

:D

10. bassface73

Mar 3, 2007
    Milford, CT

I know what you mean, but I am not kidding when I say that this bass, with the improvements, feels as good as my MIA did, no joke. The fret job is OK at best, though. If it is "improved", then the original fretwork must have been awful.

11. I just got a SX with a maple board and it has a really nice looking finish on it and the maple is flamed (just unbelievable), . I don't know if I got lucky or if others (SJB-75 ltd) are the same.

12. bassface73

Mar 3, 2007
    Milford, CT
    Here is a quick soundclip from my new SX with no EQ. I love the sound, sorry the clip is rough, did it real quick. Where else can you get a bass that sounds like this for $100(what I paid used for my SX)?