1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question on the v-4b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, May 10, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what do you think of this?
    This amp was made in 1973, by Magnavox Ampeg. I play bass, rock, and classical. The amp has 2 channels, and using both channels at once with a y-cord allows you to use both preamp 12ax7's, getting more punch and volume out of the amp. It has all the features it needs. I like that you can plug in 6550 power tubes without modifying it. It boosts power even more and all that has to be changed are the tube retainers. I use this amp at gigs, rehearsals, etc. It sounds just like my vintage SVT, only lighter and not as powerful. I also have a V4-B I made into a 1x15" combo amp, with a cast-frame Eminence speaker. It blows away any B-15 Ampeg ever made, including the new B-15R that is suppose to be so great ($2000...yea right.. I built my "V4-B15" combo for $350).

the y cable thing really.
    if i were to buy 7027a tubes how much more would it cost other than the cost of the tubes?
    is this something i can do myself.
    i have found new 7027a tubes for $28

thanks steve

2. You'd be looking at $30-50 to retube and rebias. Unless you're very comfortable with tube amp electronics and specifically Ampegs you shouldn't do it yourself. Ampegs have some very high voltage components in them, and I can guarantee that you don't want to discharge a cap charged to 550V across your fingers....:D Biasing a V4 isn't as straight forward as it is on the SVT, either. I think it's a good policy to have a reputable tube amp tech have a look at old tube amps periodically, anyway. Potentially very expensive problems can be avoided that way.

Finally, I think they sound better with 6550s anyway :D Just my opinion of course.