Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on types of Monster cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DLM, Feb 8, 2005.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Do you think there is a technical and/or sonic difference between the Jazz/Bass/Guitar Monster cables?

I'm wanting to re-cable my pre/power amp setup and want to know which cables are best soundwise. I'll need a 1/4 to 1/4 from the preamp to the poweramp, and then a banana jack from the poweramp to the cabinet for bridged mode.

Any insight would be appreciated...

2. Technically, maybe a teeny tiny difference in their construction details.

Sonically, not a difference at all. Especially when it comes to speaker cables. The high dollar cables are all hype, there isn't a single benefit to them. Buy 12 gauge power cable and make your own....

Save your money. Buy a lower price, good quality cable.

Read through this site:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips...iples/index.php

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1

After making my own cables, I'll never buy one in a store again. All it takes is soldering 4 total connections. You can make the cables whatever length you need, and best of all you save a bunch of cash.

www.partsexpress.com is good place to find bulk cable and connectors

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Normally I fall into the "It's Voodoo B.S." camp on that issue but...

Todd has some sound clips posted at basstasters and I swear I can hear a difference. It's not much and I wouldn't say one was better or worse but...it's there.

It's worth a quick listen anyway as far as patch cords go.

The power cords are pure Voodoo B.S. IMHO.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If you are dead set on using Monster Cables, I know from experience that the Jazz cables work really well for bass. I used Fender Electrovolts for a long time because they were cheap, and once I tried the Monsters, I realized that there is a benefit to paying the extra cash. I can't say that they changed my tone a whole lot, but they definitely added clarity and depth. Using cheap cables works well for a lot of people, and making their own works for a lot of people too, but until you try them all, it is hard to tell what works best for you. Knowing that I have paid for the last cable I will ever need helps me feel a little better about the price difference too. Monster cables feel a lot more rugged than any cable I have ever used and they look sweet.....that never hurt anybody.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

That is the best post I have ever seen in my short time here on TB.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    A quality cable is a quality cable, monster aren't that great, and WAY overpriced for their quality. All that "this cable sounds different" is pure BS. Bikertrash, weren't you one of the ones saying there's a difference in the tara thread before everyone agreed it was a scam?

Not to mention Monster's business practices.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, Monster Cables are good for introducing bad karma into your signal chain, and not much more, imo...

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Not me boss. I'm the original sceptic. Half the time I don't even believe what I see and hear.

I use a cord that was made for me by a guy that hangs out at the dudepit and I'm more than happy.

And as a Florida state licensed master electrician I will guarantee you that the power cord thing is total voodoo BS and I don't need any test to tell me that. I spent 20 years working with electricity.

All I said was I heard a difference (in the patch cords) on the basstaster site and it was worth a quick listen.

I'll go back and listen again. If I don't hear it now, I'll state so.
    It's not like I've never been wrong about anything.....

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My mistake! I use pitter "fretlessrock"'s cables myself, not a single problem or complaint.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I am not familiar with Monster's business practices, but they produce a product that I am rather pleased with. Also, is it documented that they absolutely do nothing for tone? I am happy with mine, but am curious to know why so many people dislike them.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    OK I'm back.

I still hear a difference. Not enough to matter to me but maybe to a golden ear.

I liked the Bayou cable best but, maybe thats because he's the guy I was talking about from the pit.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The $50 you're paying for on a monster cable isn't for a quality cable, it is for their marketing, and to pay their lawyers for suing everyone. They OWN the monster name, and no one else is allowed to use it. They even sued Disney for using the title "Monsters INC" for a movie title, among countless others. Do a search on TB, as it has been pretty well covered.

Besides all of that, there are better quality cables for 1/2 the price.

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    No doubt! I may pay $50 for a telefunken tube because the IS a difference or $45 for a bayou cable because Butch puts candy in the package but $80 for a patch cord?????

Hell, I work for a living...

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Eighty bucks for a patch cord is freaking ridiculous! I don't think I would go there, especially since I would need ten of them. However, fifty bucks for an instrument cable, that I will never have to pay for again, doesn't sound too bad. Also, like I mentioned before, I like the way they look, feel and sound, so I can't really fault them for making poor products. About the Disney lawsuit, I wasn't aware of that, but in my opinion, Disney doesn't exactly have squeaky clean business practices either. I'm not trying to launch a huge debate, but I don't understand the hate.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FWIW, the bass and jazz cables have about equal capacitance. i noticed a bit of a difference from the spectraflex i was using. monster rock cables have less capacitance and are thus a bit brighter. the big thick studio cable actually has a very noticable difference compared to the bass cable. i was actually impressed. i bought before i knew about their sue-happy policy. they do tend to break. fortunately i can (and do) return them to any store that carries them as long as they have the exact one in stock.

17. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm curious to know if you have any experience with Monster cables. You seem to have a strong opinion as to their worthlessness, and wonder if it's due to a bad experience or because of their reputation.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've head a couple, that broke. I've also read that I am not alone with this, as I have read several others with the same experience here on talkbass.

I'd take a quality cable, with nuetrik connectors anyday, especially at half the price. THIS coming from a guy who gladly paid $300 for a single pickup.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Opinions vary, but I've been using the SAME Monster Bass cable since 1997, and I gig at least twice per week, and its still going strong. To hell with the warranty, I didn't expect ANY cable to last that long. Definitely got my moneys worth with that one . . .