Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on what bass to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ColdYinTiger, Mar 10, 2001.

1. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm in a..well for lack of beter discription, progressive new metal band, and I was looking for a good bass to get next, I was tempted for a Music Man Stingray 5 string, or a Warick thumb. Any of you guy's have any idea's for bass to buy next? Any type would be preferances will be usefull.(Four five six, fretless, so on and so forth)

thanks

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yeah I have Stingray for sale here on the site, I love it but Im going thru a divorce and I need the money bad.

Regardless of that, I really like the stingray for modern heavy music and for the funkier side of things. It cuts thru the mix very well and is punchy enough to sound powerfull.

3. I perform in a metal band. For me, there is no other bass that can ram through a wall of sound created by thunderous drums and blasting guitars. That one and only is SPECTOR. See their website for details. The "Europe" Series is in your described price range.
    Check them out www.spectorbass.com

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Spector does sound great for Metal and many styles.
    But if you play progressive rock/metal/thrash like I do, the first thing to focus on is to have more than 4 strings, I would recommend 6 strings.
    Tony Levin plays lots of progressive rock music, he uses a Stingray 5 , but if you listen closely you will see that he uses also a chapman stick , wich is 10 strings.

I currently use a Cort Curbow 6 String with Bartolini , but Im gonna get a Custom 6 String Bass made by Dave Pushic, I think you should talk to him ans see what could fit you better.
    www.dpcustom.com (by the way, It could cost less than your average NEW stingray 5)

You know, I wanted a Thumb Bass and a Stingray 5 not too long ago.. (2 weeks ago) so making myself a custom bass is the greatest thing that can happen dto me.
    I will have the Shape that Dave uses.. with the woods that a Warwick could have and the electronics I love (BartoliniĀ“s all the way), So I really think that you should take a look on those. If not, my first suggestion is to try a 6 String.. say Cort Curbow or a Yamaha TRB6P , then play the Stingray and see if you miss the C string.

Then, its up to you.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno. I'd look into a used or mid ranged Pedulla. Like the Buzz. Pedulla is great, and super versatile in my opinion. But that's me. Also consider G&L...other than that, I'd go with the Stingray.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Id say the warwick but then again thats just me!

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    For progressive metal, id go with a 5 string bass minimum, but preferably a 6. Some good 5's are Fender Mia jazz bass deluxe, MM Stingray's, Spectors, (which also make a nice 6 string too), G&L, or as lfabara said a custom one. I was looking at that site Ifabara, and although Im not crazy about the body styles, he looks like he makes a great sounding bass and a very playable one too. Im going to look into them a little bit more myself.

8. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    You might want to give the Fender Hot-rod p bass a try, I just bought a new one for $679 and it sounds way better than my Warwick fna. If your looking for that Megadeath, Anthrax ballsy bass sound try one. As a plus you can dial in more tones than you can with a Stingray.