1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question: Overwound P-bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Mar 29, 2009.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I've been thinking about changing the pickups in my Fender P bass. It's a 60th Anniversary MIM P which supposedly has MIA pickups.

I've been reading about after-market pickups. Fralin, Lollars and Bill Lawrence pickups have gotten my attention. I feel like a I have at lease an idea in how they might sound different.

Where I'm feeling lost is in how overwinding effects the sound and performance of pickups. Through my reading/research here on TB I know that the more winds the higher the output of the pup. After that, I'm feeling lost.

So, I have found Fralin pickups that are normal wound, 5%, 8% and 10% overwound. What could I expect in terms of tone differences?

Thanks for the help!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the general rule is, the more wire, the louder but darker it is.

i will say that fralin's stock p-bass crushes just like it is, and is a big leap up from the fender stuff. no need for him to overwind it.