Question, P style or PJ style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kim do yeon, Mar 6, 2004.

1. kim do yeon

kim do yeon

Sep 6, 2003
    what are difference ONLY P between PJ ?

IF PJ style is better(more variable), Why people hold the ONLY P style?

those of P tone are defferent?
  2. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    i would imagine that PJ would be the same as a P but with the added versatility of a J to tighten up the sound especially while slapping.

of course some PJ config basses do not have the positions of the P and J pickup in the same position where you would find the P on a precision and a J at the bridge of a jazz. then you may find tonal differations when you solo the pickups.

Other than that, I'd expect a PJ to be able to reproduce the sounds of a P and much more.
  3. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i'd say the stu hamm sig. bass is the ultimate PJ.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the P tone for fingerstyle, but for slapping it just doesnt cut it . I have a Godin SD bass (i put bartolini pickups in) and its got the P/J formation and it is a funk machine. Nice bottom end for fingerstyle and nice slap tone all in one.
  5. I'd say the reason for a P/J is for those who love the sound of a Pbass but want the added versatility of a J in there (mainly for slapping I'd say). I'm more of a J guy myself so when I play my P/J bass I go full on the J pickup, but add in a little P for that punchiness. People who use P basses (not P/J) are mainly looking for that low, punchy tone that it gives.
  6. i'm actually in the market for a fender p/j right now, but have held off considering all the fender bashing i saw around here lately...

i like the way fender does it cuz you get that maple fretboard coupled with a nice J neck.... =)
  7. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just FYI, you may wanna take a listen to Ready Freddie Washington's work on Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" or Anita Baker's "Same Ole Love"... both done on his P-bass. Sounds pretty good to me... ;)
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well im sure there are some P basses that sound well when slapped but the ones ive played didnt. They were mainly fender MIMs and MIAs and had the stock pickups in.
  9. kim do yeon

kim do yeon

Sep 6, 2003
    as information, passive P+J cannot achieve a true P tone, due to the J being in the circuit.

The more devices in the passive circuit (volume control, tone control, 2nd pickup) the more the combined impedance is lowered. This has the effect of making the pickup sound thin and watery.

so, peple used only P pickup style FOR true P sound.

Is that true?
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well you can just turn the Jazz pickup to volume 0..
  11. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    good thread! Im just wondering about the same as Kim Do Yeon
  12. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    That may or may not be true regarding PASSIVE basses but,

My Sadowsky PJ5 is capable of sounding more like a Fender P than any other bass I own and I'm an old school P bass kind of guy that ownes three GREAT Fender P's.

Granted, as soon as you add even a hint of bridge pickup it all goes away but you can in fact, have it both ways.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i'd be hardpressed to tell the difference, and its prolly ever so slight... :meh:

FYI, i'd never part with my Sadowsky PJ, too. the P gives you the kick drum like punch, while the J pickup adds a nice chewy, yet cutting texture to the overall sound.

IMHO, the PJ setup actually makes the ol' Jazz bass setup, much more versatile. i never really used the front pickup of the jazz setup, but having a P pickup there, makes it all the more versatile, giving me that classic P sound in a front pickup i'd actually use.

but if you're a vintage purist, then having a Pbass isnt that much worse. just a matter of what you like.
  14. In answer to your actual question Kim, I bought a P bass 'only' - because I went out to try P/J and J/J types, and the P that I picked up for compariseon sounded best of all.
    I worried about 'not having varied sound' and not being a 'modern' jazz, but it sounded so warm and played so well that I chose it.
    That was a couple of months ago, and every day I enjoy it more - no regrets at P only!
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IME, you wouldn't lose anything by going from P to PJ... as noted, you could turn the J pup off (which I usually do).

Just keep in mind that P+J will sound somewhat different than J+J: JJ is a little fatter on the DG strings. Note that some players prefer P+J to J+J.
  16. I prefer a P-bass to a PJ.

There is a simple elegance I love about the passive split pickup design, and I've never gotten the same cool slurpy-punchy textured tone out of a PJ.

On a PJ, I have a difficult time playing between the pickups, and when I dig in I tend to jam my middle finger on the J pickup.

My current P is a custom alder MTD 535, which I adore. I've had a Sadowsky PJ, which was a truly great bass, and several Fender PJs and none of them worked well for me.

Finding a bass that's really right is a long & wonderful quest.

17. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    I had pretty much the same experience recently. I was looking to buy a new bass and since my old one was a Washburn with a P/J setup I assumed getting a bass with just a P would be to go from a more versatile bass to a more limited one. Boy was I wrong. I just couldn't find a better sound out of any of the basses I tried in my price range than what I got with the Fender Precision. It just has a great full, warm sound and I was surprised by it's tonal range. Granted part of it probably has something to do with different basses/different electronics/different quality (I don't see a lot of people boasting about owning Washburns around here) but I think it actually has a greater range than my old P/J Washburn. (granted too, that that may also have something to do with the user...)
    Absolutely no regrets here either.
  18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I agree with Jonathan Starr.
    Never liked sound of P J together.
    This is why most bass players own a P-bass,
    and a Jazz bass.
  19. Jonathon,
    just looking at your picture;
    is that an eight inch thumb you got there in your photo?
    Is that an unfair advantage, or a handicap??
    josh josh