Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question: Peavey Grind bass 5 (Or 5 strings in general)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MagicMedicine, Oct 11, 2005.

1. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine

Sep 27, 2005
    Canada
    Hey, Iv been looking around for a bass to buy (been playing guitar all my life and am now switching to bass)

I have just discovered the Peavey Grind Bass 5 NTB. I havnt been able to try it yet, but I wondering if anybody here who has tried or owned it could tell me their thoughts on it. I'v been told the construction quality can be a hit or miss depending on which exact one you end up with.

ALSO.

On this specific 5 string the strings are closer together than on a 4 string. Would this cause problems when playing? or could this become a good thing onces used to it?

I will be mostly using my fingers aswell as slapping and popping when I play.

thanks.

2. i played a grind NTB 4, and it was pretty nice, i liked it a lot! i do hear the the Grind NTB B string is floppy on a 5 and 6, i'm sure someone else can verify that though...

3. I had a grind 5. The B string was pretty good. It is a very underrated bass. Try to play one in a store as the one I bought the frets were not filed down all the way. For the price of a new grind I would look for a Peavey Fury 5 though as more tones can be made

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Grinds aren't bad little basses for the money. They have pretty decent tone for basses in this price range, the playability is pretty good IMO/IME with them. If you are used to a 3/4 inch string spacing then the spacing on this bass will give you fits for a while. Its nothing that cant be overcome with practice though. In short the Grinds are good basses for those on a budget. I also agree with the above about the B string feeling a bit on the "loose" side.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't care for narrow spacing, but then I played four-string exclusively for 20 years. From what I've read here and elsewhere, slappers seem to have the most trouble on narrow spacing. All that said, you might adjust to narrow spacing just fine, as many players do.

I'll add here that I don't find narrow basses unplayable, I just find them less comfortable than "wide" fivers. So, it's not like you'll be making a love-it-or-hate-it decision. Good luck!

6. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine

Sep 27, 2005
    Canada
    I had also read about problems with the B string in reviews, but I believe some said it was only an issue with the stock strings.

So far all your posts are helpfull,

thanks.

7. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    First, I'm curious. Given that the Peavey Grind 5 is a 35" / 24 fret bass, how can it have a "B" that is any more "floppy" than say a Fedora, Tobias, Pedula, Sadowski etc? (the only thing here that I can think of is the strings, which are a disposable, perishable commodity. As such, factory strings don't count IMO)

That said...
    I've owned T-40, 3 different Peavey amps and 4 different cabs and had good experiences with all of them.

Ever since I saw a Peavey Grind (4 string) in a store, I felt I wanted one. I liked the weight, feel, look and neck through design. Funny thing is, every time I see one in a store, they range from beings so poorly set up to playing "so-so". The first one had the truss rod literally unscrewed and rattling and the resulting lack of neck relief rendered it completely unplayable. Yesterday, I picked up a 5er and the action was so low that the strings were touching the frets from about 10 - 12 on!!! The 4 stringer I picked up buzzed BADLY. At another store the 5er was playable but the intonation was WAY off. :eyebrow:

I still like them and I may get one someday, but it's going to be a sure bet that I won't pay a dime until the store does at least a basic setup and I am able to ensure that it will be a playable unit. (I'll change strings and do my own setup afterward). :bassist:

I sure do like how it feels and looks though.... :cool:

8. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    hmm.......that's such a pretty search button.........i wonder what it dose.....

9. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine

Sep 27, 2005
    Canada
    actually, i did search first. There was very little information available that I was searching for. Maybe YOU should have used the search before posting that comment.

And if everybody used the search button even when there was information available.. There wouldn't be very many results in the future when people search.