1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question: QSC clip limiter switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman69, Apr 14, 2006.

1. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH

I am using a DBX 160A compressor between a QSC power amp and the pre amp is it still advisable to have the clip limiter switch on the power amp. Isn't DBX providing the same protection as the Clip limiter switch.

thanks
    jerry

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'd use both, that way your power amp and speakers are protected if something goes wrong further upstream.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I know the dbx 160a very well, I used to own a dbx 160x. It's a great compresor-limitter, but for your kit, I would use the dbx as a sound (tone) compressor, so you're able to get the best threshold-cut off balance and still keep a great tone, and use the clip limiter on the amp as protection for your speakers. Ideally, you might get a perfect setting with the 160A and never see the limiter light on the amp be used, but still be on, just in case.

4. I'd leave it on too. Better safe than sorry, right?

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If you absolutely have to hear distortion when the amp clips, or if you're doing a full-power test of the amp on a service bench, turn the clip limiter off. For the other (estimated) 99.99% of uses of the amp, turn the clip limiter on.

6. Only if you can get the DBX setup perfectly to engage the limiter at the same point as your amp would. You could limit your signal output at any point you define with the DBX, which may be below or above what it takes to make your amp clip. If you use the switch on the amp you will know it's limiting right before starting to clip the amp.

7. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    Thanks for the suggestions, Yamaha you said use the DBX as a tone generator, are you suggesting to run the DBX thru the efx loop and of course leave the clip limiter switch on on the power amp.

8. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    No, I mean the controls of the DBX allow you to shape the cut off to a gradual and pleasing level to the ears, not as a sudden and drastic limitter on the input signal.