Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question RE: GenzBenz 112 -- Replace Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dukeplaysbass, Jun 22, 2004.

1. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Hey all-

I picked up a new GenzBenz 112 cab about a month ago (the price was lower than I could resist for a cab that'll fit in the tiny trunk of my car). However, I'd like to be able to push it more than the stock speaker can take (currently rated at 200w) and was thinking about replacing it with an Eminence or EV, something higher rated.....

Any ideas? Or maybe just tell me this is a bad idea to begin with and save me the trouble....?

-Duke

2. TB member bgavin has a spreadsheet of speaker specifications. It might help you find a speaker that would work in the volume of cab that you have. You can get to it through his TB entry, or from here.

http://www.ofgb.org/

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How much do you want to push it? A 200 watt RMS rating means you can use up to 400W to drive it as long as you aren't clipping the amp. When I owned my GB-12T I did this routinely.

At some point, if you really need more volume you should add more speakers rather than just throwing more wattage at a single speaker.

4. dukeplaysbass

OK, let me give you a bit more background....

I've been using a 275w GenzBenz amp to drive it (picked that up from the same dealer for a killer price, too). It sounds fine for most things at moderate (low-level rehearsal) volume, except it seems to get kind of farty for the low D and below when I get it up to a decent volume. I thought of it as a power thing, but maybe it's just that the speaker just can't handle these frequencies....

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My GB-12T handled the open B string just fine at gig volumes but I never boosted bass EQ on my rig, I had plenty of low end even with the EQ flat. I was using a 400 watt head to drive it.

6. dukeplaysbass

I generally run my amps flat, too. Do you think maybe it's not handling it well because it's 275w? I can try it with the GK 1001 (1st version -- 375w) and see....

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I still do that exact same thing. ;)

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think more power would be helpful. I usually run about 350 watts of headroom into each of my GB-12 cabs. I've never had any problems all the way down to low B but like brianrost, I run my preamp section flat.