1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question re: Limiter Placement in Chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TwoRivers, Mar 10, 2013.

1. TwoRivers

TwoRivers

Aug 26, 2012
    Las Cruces, NM
    Good evening TB. I've done a search and found a lot of information on compressor placement, but wondered if it might be any different with a limiter/enhancer (Boss LMB-3). My board is pretty small and consists of only a EHX Big Muff, Digitech Bass Multi Chorus and the LMB-3. Any recommendations/reasoning on where to place it in the chain? I'm running the effects between amp/DI and guitar, not an effects loop.

Current arrangement is: bass, lmb-3, big muff, chorus, amp/di (depending on venue).

Thanks!

2. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    There is no right or wrong placement of the LMB-3 or any other pedal for that matter. You need to place it in a few different places in your chain & see what sounds best for you. Mine is at the end of the chain to keep the other effects from being too overbearing & even sounding.

3. TwoRivers

TwoRivers

Aug 26, 2012
    Las Cruces, NM
    This is precisely why I was asking. I was playing a venue today and hit a note with the chorus engaged that was significantly louder than other notes played just before engaging the chorus. Granted, the rest of the band gets quiet right as I hit that note and there are some other sound issues with this particular venue (if you are playing alone, it's super loud, band comes in and it's like everything gets compressed so that the whole band is the same volume as the one instrument by itself...very frustrating).

Thanks for the info though, maybe it will help a bit placing it at the end!

4. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    No worries. Great pedal isn't it? Gives some nice clarity & warmth on it's own I've found.
    I still encourage you to mix it up a bit. Now you've got to mess around with the settings :/ good luck!

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd say at the end if you want all your different pickup, pedal and right-hand attack changes to be closer to the same volume.

if it's at the beginning, kicking on the muff could still radically change how loud the overall sound is.

6. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    +1 (it's what works for me as well)

7. Ideally no limiter should be necessary. Your technique should keep things in check. If you can't back off with the fingers, a level control inline or sack the offenders in favour of pedals with gain control.

Or limiter goes last.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have the FEA Labs DE-CL and it has both the compressor and limiter features and it's at the beginning of my chain and I don't have any volumes issues with other pedals.

9. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I run my MXR M87 at the beginning of my chain to even out attack, I set my pedals to unity gain. Done properly you won't need to worry about volume spiking. Ymmv, some pedals just can't get unity without sounding washed out I guess.