Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question re: MTD 635

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steelpulz, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I was in N.Y. a coupla months ago and played this MTD635 at Rudy's. Wonderful low action...sounded and felt great, but it has a Rose of the Mountain top. Does anybody know anything about that wood. The salesperson had no info. Thanks.

Here it is

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Mike has been using Rose of the Mountain a lot lately. He has also used it for fretboards. The last time I was up at his shop he showed us a couple of really nicely figured pieces that would have looked great on a fretless board.

3. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Is that an ash neck?

4. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Thanks for the response Joel..but I still don't know what Rose of the Mountain is. I have never heard of such a tree. I did a yahoo search and didn't come up with anything that helps. Do you know anything about the characteristics of that wood?

5. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Yep. It's an ash neck.

6. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Is it like rosewood but from a mountain growing variety :D

Hey it sounds stupid but it never hurts to start with the literal - plus it may be the close translation of a latin name or nickname for a certain tree.

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I've never actually heard it on a bass so I can't give you my opinion. I do remember Mike saying (in the context of a fingerboard wood) that it was as hard as Ebony but not as bright.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I will see Mike next week though and will bounce it off of him.

Thanks,
    JC

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    IIRC, Mike Dimin has an MTD with a Rose of the Mountain top. You might PM him or check into his forum here at TB for more info.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The bass at Rudy's is the "sister" to mine. Same construction, the top is from the same piece of wood. From what I found on the internet, it is either BROWNEA latifolia or Brownea guianensis. There is some confusion on which is commonly called "Rose of the Mountain" or "Mountain Rose". Mike T. is really impressed with the wood for both tops and fretboards (both fretted and fretless). The wood is very hard (don't ask what it did to Mike's last pin-router). I can say that the combination of woods on the Bass at Rudy's is the same as mine and is a wonderful combination. It is the most responsive bass that I have ever played. It can span the range of tones just with the attack of your right hand. It is truly amazing. Here is a pic of mine (it should look pretty familiar)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

10. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Thanks Mike.....I only played the bass for a few minutes before they closed that evening. It played wonderfully and sounded better. How long have you had your MTD? Did you get it from Rudy's?

11. I . . . WANT . . . THAT . . . BASS! PM me for shipping address. :D

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I got mine this past July. I am an clinician and endorsing MTD artist. As such, I was able to order it directly from Mike T. I actually specified the wood combo which happens to be the same combo on the one at Rudy's

Mike

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm really dying to try out an avodire 535/635. I've heard such great things about MTD's with that body wood.