Question re the custom shop pickup in my fender us 2012 p bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BlueP, Aug 25, 2019.

1. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    I have a 2012 american precision bass

I purchased it new and it was sold as ‘custom shop’ pick up

Can anyone confirm if this is the same as the 62 custom shop pick up ?

Or if it’s not what constitutes it as a custom shop pick up?

The reason I am asking is that I replaced the pickup in my short scale mustang with a ‘custom shop’ 62 pick up and whilst I appreciate they are very different guitars the pick up I put in the mustang seems to me to sound warmer and more refined

Ross

Linnin likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Good question Ross. When Fender upgraded their American Standard Precision and Jazz in 2012 they touted 'Custom Shop' pickups but never attached a number such as '62. At the same time the AVRI '62 P & J also had 'Custom Shop' pickups and these were also marketed for sale as sets as CS62. I always thought they were one and the same. One way to find out for sure if they are the same is to get a parts list for your bass and look up your pickup's official Fender part number. If the part numbers are the same, the pickups are the same. Even so there are small differences from one set of pickups to the next just as from one bass to the next.

Kro and BlueP like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    OK, here ya go @BlueP. I should have consulted Fender first.
    Custom Shop '62 Precision Bass® Pickup | Accessories
    "As Heard on:

American Standard Precision Bass® Guitars (2012-Present)

The Fender Custom Shop has artfully reproduced the classic 1962 Precision Bass split-coil pickup to deliver the full booming lows, punchy midrange and clear high end of the bass that started it all. "

Kro and BlueP like this.
  4. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    upload_2019-8-26_13-15-46.png upload_2019-8-26_13-15-46.jpeg

5. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Yep thanks

I went there too !!

Linnin likes this.
  6. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    upload_2019-8-26_23-2-37.png upload_2019-8-26_23-2-37.jpeg

7. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    upload_2019-8-26_23-7-27.png upload_2019-8-26_23-7-27.jpeg

8. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    It looks like the cs 62 is what is in the American 2012 and the part number for the 62 and 63 is the same

Looking at the out put charts tells the story, I think

Cs 62 looks somewhat scooped and the 63 looks more bassy

As a person who owns the 2012 it is still taking me time to settle in on that pickup

I love the guitar, and now I am a little more conflicted because on one hand I would like it to be a bit more on the bass, but at the same time, the current pickup has a bit of an edge

9. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Ps
    There are a lot of people on talkbass who play fender precision’s and swear by flats

I just came off flats and went back to a set of fender steel rounds.

First up playing in a band practice tonight, I think the rounds are good on my bass

It got to a point where I have been thinking about a new amp, as I was persisting with flats and I have been getting a bit frustrated with my sound ...

but now I figure it’s more about finding the right strings for this particular guitar ... I am really glad I started looking into this because seeing those output charts, makes sense to me and it’s really got me thinking...

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    My favorite Precision pickups are the V-Mods that came stock on my American Professional. I keep that Precision strung in GHS Balanced Nickels. A killer combination with serious warmth; depth, and low mid growl & punch.

TC.65 and BlueP like this.
  11. Backdrop

Backdrop

Feb 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    CS 62 - 0992214000
    PV 63 - 0992241000
    Not the same but very similar.

Recently replaced the pup (ModelP) in my MIM with a CS62. Can hear the mid scoop somewhat. Not enough to bug me. I'm digging it though. Nice and clean compared with the Model P.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    BlueP likes this.
  12. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Thanks and I clearly need to wear my reading glasses when reading the fine print ...

Backdrop likes this.
  13. MZo

MZo

Nov 24, 2018
    I recently purchased a 2012 American p bass that is supposed to come with the CS pick ups and I’m trying to identify whether or not mine have been replaced or not. There is no part number . If anyone has any picture or could otherwise help, it would be appreciated. Pics of my pickups attached.Thank you.

Attached Files:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021