Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question regarding 3 finger plucking technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by John Bufo, Dec 6, 2002.

1. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    After about three months of practicing, I'm finding that I am finally able to use my ring finger effectively. I typically use a "3 2 1" plucking pattern with my right hand. However, while jamming, I sometimes find myself subconsciously using different plucking patterns at different times, most commonly a "1 3 2" pattern. Is this a bad habit which I should stop before it becomes too deeply ingrained in my mind, or does it not really matter? I was always taught to consistently alternate your fingers while plucking, though sometimes that just doesn't feel right to me.

2. Usually it helps to keep a consistent pattern. I also play with 3 fingers and playing alternating octaves with 3 fingers can be quite difficult if you want to keep the 3-2-1 order, this is one exception where i would change the pattern

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    if i'm not mistaken, you're doing the exact same thing with 3 2 1 - 3 2 1 as you are with 1 3 2 - 1 3 2, only starting with your 1st finger instead. I don't see a problem with that because you're still maintaining a consistent flowing ring-middle-index pattern. of course, i'm no expert, so yea... ;)

i was also going to make the statement about how hard it would be to maintain a perfect 3-2-1 alternation in some situations, but i was beaten to the punch...

Later---

4. yeah i just noticed too 1-3-2 is the same thing as 3-2-1 unless you where playing 321 and then switch to 132 which would mean playing 321132 which is not good at all

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    i doubt that's the situation, but who knows? i'm guessing it's more of a "i'm starting the pattern with 3-2-1 and by the middle of the song, i'm consistently playing a 1-3-2 pattern," which is maybe a bit out of the ordinary, but if it's natural, i still don't see a problem (other than losing the 3-2-1 for machine gun triplets and changing between the 1-3-2 and MG-triplet may be difficult in some crazy situation).

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I use all my fingers to pluck. I've never worried about keeping a particular pattern at all times. Certain lines work better with different plucking patterns. I believe it is better to be flexible.

7. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Just do what's natural. One thing to keep in mind is the tone of the plucks. The tone should be even no matter which finger you're using. You may want to even experiment with using 4 right hand fingers. Depending on what kind of music/tempo I'm playing it can feel quite natural.

8. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I use my pinkie least of all for plucking, but to suddenly get a more treble sounding pluck in the midst of other notes, it sure is a handy way to do it. I.e., pluck closer to the bridge.