Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question regarding 4PDT switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jive1, May 13, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm working on a little wiring project, and I'm thinking of using a 4PDT on/on/on toggle switch if it will suit my needs. The thing I'm wondering is what connections, each position will make. For example, there are 12 terminals. For each position on the switch, which terminals will be connected?

Any explanaition would be appreciated.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Central pin on each row connects with one side, the other or both depending on the position of the switch.
    To route pickups, on/off/on or on/on is usually much more practical.

3. I thought a SPDT switch had 3 contacts, the center connects to either end depending on which of 2 positions the switch was in. Single pole Double throw. Times 4 for a 4PDT. That makes 12 contacts.
    b connects to a or b depending on switch position.

a1 a2 a3 a4
    b1 b2 b3 b4
    c1 c2 c3 c4

I'd get a multimeter and check the connections to make sure.

Randy

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What are you trying to do with it?

The wiring depends on the intended application. :)

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    What I'm trying to do is wire up an Aguilar OBP-3 so that it has 3 midrange selections instead of two. If you look on the wiring diagrams for the OBP-3 on aguilaramp.com, you'll get a better picture of what I'm trying to do. The wiring modifications are on the last page.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is get 3 settings. One has wires A & B, C & D wired together, the other has all four wires disconnected, and the third has A & B and C & D wired together, with a capacitor in between and a capacitor leading from the output to a potentiometer. The reason why I'm going for a 4 pole is so that I can get two seperate outputs (ome w/ cap, and one without).

If you guys have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.