Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question regarding Bart TBIBT preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Snarf, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    From the Bart site: "2 Buffered Inputs plus 2 band (Bass and Treble) tone control preamp - 9 volt"

The second part of that I understand, but what are "2 buffered inputs?" I'm looking to drop one of these into my Conklin GT4 which has pickup blend/vol/bass/treble.

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've used a ton of these, they're great. The buffered inputs are what you hook the pickups up to before you mix them, then you get a blend that acts more like a mixing board than just adding 2 passive pickups together. This keeps the volume more consistent as you blend the pickups and I believe also negates the series/parallel effects of mixing 2 pickups but I'm not sure of this last part.

I prefer it but it is a matter of taste.

By the way how's Ruth these days?

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ruth is . . . no longer playing with Frank.

Next question: How much would it cost to have one installed?

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Ruth was happening with those mallets. The last TBIBT I bought was about 15 years ago and I think I paid about $40 wholesale for them. Add the pots and labor and inflation and you could expect to pay... I really don't know :)