1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question regarding EQ's in Fender

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lowpro, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Okay, so kinda long story but you've all heard it before. I'm trying to buy myself a P/J bass because I love the P bass sound over the J bass, but prefer the J body. The two basses that have me are Fenders, the Aerodyne Jazz, and the Reggie Hamilton Jazz bass.

Thing is, the EQs in the Aerodyne are pretty weak IMO. I can't get a huge diversity, and I was using a pretty decent bass head and cabinet. So, here's the question. Are there ways to "add" knobs and switch out electronics, maybe add a low pass filter in order to get a "wah" effect? I know little about the electronic part of bass, so for all I know it's impossible to do or it's done all the time.

When it comes to the Reggie Hamilton bass, everything's fine, however again I would like to add a low pass filter perhaps.

And also, this is one of those questions I guarantee will have you up in arms, but this is the best place to post it.

When changing out factory pups for a P/J is it wise to use the same brand for both, or can I put say a Bart P for the neck, and say Duncan Design for the bridge. And also, when it comes to heavy metal, and more of a low end sound, which brand would you say is most reliable? ( That's the question I guarantee will get you guys rolling your eyes >.<)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

anyone who can't build a preamp themselves is probably not capable of altering a preamp to the degree you're talking about. It's basically take it or leave it as is.

Yes you can mix pups.

Pups in general do not have reliability issues unless abused or they're old.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    dude, there is no EQ in the Aerodyne. It's PASSIVE. Totally different beast. More of a 1 tone, plug and play type axe.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021