Question regarding Fender Rumble 500 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gonzogiraffes, Sep 21, 2016.

1. gonzogiraffes

gonzogiraffes

Sep 21, 2016
    Hi there, I've seen a bunch of pics of the Fender Rumble 200 head above two 1x12 cabs. I love the Rumble 112s but want to use the Rumble 500 head. Will this be a good match power wise (500 head and 2 1x12 cabs) or should I worry about blowing anything up? Thanks!

Roger Ammons likes this.
  2. Roger Ammons

Roger Ammons

Apr 3, 2016
    Don't worry

3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The 112 cabs are a good match for the 500 head. You should be fine.

4. As long as you are using both 1x12 cabs together it should be good with the 500 head.
    One cab by itself is not enough to handle the 500 unless you keep the amp volume down and listen for problems with the speaker. The 1x12 is rated to handle 250 watts continuous.

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    That's true enough, but the 500 only puts out a maximum of 350 watts at 8 Ohms, and a single 112 handles 250 watts continuous/500 watts program, so the disparity isn't as great as you might suppose. But I agree, you do have to exercise some care if using only one 112.

6. Yes. That is correct. One cab will be 8 ohms and the amp will max at around 350 watts, not 500.
    Thanks JakobT for catching that.

7. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I played the Rumble 112 with the Aguilar 500 head for several months. Never had a problem. Unless you're putting continuous sine waves through your amp and cranking it, you're not going to damage 250W RMS speakers with a 500W head (which only puts out like 300-350W in 8 ohm anyway).

I really like the Rumble 112 cabs. I only switched to TC K210 because I wanted skinnier and taller cabs (though as a side effect, this gave me the excuse to start using a 800W head).

8. luisinchi

luisinchi

Apr 7, 2017
    Hello again. My cab arrived, and it's a new 112 v2.

I'm waiting for a gk 400rb to arrive. Can someone please tell me how do I plug the amp to the cab?

Attached Files:

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    160-0003-C_400RBIV_OM.p65 (squarespace.com)

Use a quality 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable. Do not use instrument cables for speakers.
    Connect one end of the cable to one output on the back of the amp. Connect the other end to one of the cabinet inputs.
    You can add a second 8 ohms cabinet in one of two ways:
    1. Connect the second cabinet to the second amp output.
    2. Daisy chain from the first cabinet to the second cabinet. The second jack on the back of your speaker is made to allow this daisy chain.

Do not connect two cables between the amp and a single speaker!!!

10. luisinchi

luisinchi

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks!

Now, si this good enought for a speaker cable?

Attached Files:

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  12. luisinchi

luisinchi

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks, man.

I live in a small town in Colombia, and that's what they sold me. I'll get something better. Thanks again. You are so kind

13. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I tried searching for "cable de bocinas" on MusicBox and GuitarrasyBaterias: no luck.
    Is the proper term "cable de cabina"? I found one here, but it looks a little long.
    CABLE CABINA PCS30-14Q 1/4 -1/4 PROLOK SY2030 – tropicalmusiccolombia.com.co

I'm surprised they are so hard to find.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  14. luisinchi

luisinchi

Apr 7, 2017
    They are. Sad story: the amp came with the volume knob broken. I called the seller, told him about the cable, and he said "try it, just to make sure it works" I plugged the amp, and it worked. Then I plugged the cab and My Peavey t-45. Just a pop, and the amp died. Any idea of what happened?

15. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    It's a total guess but a broken knob might have indicated internal damage as well. In such a situation I would not have powered the amp on. I don't know if you can return it but it certainly isn't useable. Sorry to hear about this.

16. luisinchi

luisinchi

Apr 7, 2017
    I just talked to the guy who helps me with amps. He says it might have burned some transistors. I'll try to finish work quick so I can take the amp right away. Damn, my soul hurts

17. luisinchi

luisinchi

Apr 7, 2017
    I talked to the tech a while ago. He says all transistors are burned, along some other thing. Around $60 dollars for repair. I'll have to pay. It's not easy to find one of these amps around here