Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question regarding moding my 2 4x10" cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smifedeg, May 3, 2004.

1. smifedeg

smifedeg

Apr 28, 2004
    Århus, Denmark
    I run my H&K BassBase 600 head through two Lee Jackson XLB410 cab's and they sure deliver the middle punch and bass that I have been looking for.

[​IMG]

The Lee Jackson cab's are the best 4x10's I've ever heared, poeple, they are Mr Jackson's perfect Ampeg 8x10's. They pack alot of bottom, and much more than normal 8x10's, I would'nt trade them in for an Ampeg 8x10" no sir!
    But I am looking for a little more top than theese two bad boys gives me with out having to boosting my treble all the way up. Which dos'nt really leave any room for tweeking in more top (I use alot of different sound's and settings when I play).

I've been talking to my local tech guy about having a horn installed (his solution on the matter), I've never really been a big fan of the sound of horns, and now I'm thinking about having one installed into my 2 4x10's. I also have a good friend who's working with TC Electronics and he's suggestion was to build a sepperate horn box, I like that Idea better, since we don't have to "break" into the enclosed cab's, but only pull a couple of wires and attach the bad boy. Also this option gives alot more possibilities for trying out different horns.

Anyone has an opinion on this matter, anything?!

2. It sounds like you've already made up your mind about keeping the horns separate. I would agree with that option simply because you can try different things out without wrecking your beautiful cabs.

I don't know much about this but from what I understand you can try out different crossover frequencies to get different tones out of them. You may also want to try 5" or 6" drivers.

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Since those Lee Jackson cabs are sealed cabs, you are a lot better off not modifying them. I like the horn-box-on-top idea. It's been done before.

BTW, I never knew those Lee Jackson cabs existed. They look very interesting! The sound of an SVT in two-piece solution?!

http://www.leejackson.com/XB410.htm

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It works. I built a seperate horn box a while ago because the horn on my cab was useless. So I disconnected it and built a horn cab using a flare and piezo driver I had lying around. As you say, I didn't really want to butcher the existing cab, just in case I ever decide to sell it.

It was a simple matter of running a parallel cable to link it to one of the cabs. The horn houses a simple crossover, though I'm really only using it as a high-pass filter. I was going to install an L-pad as well but I found it didn't need it.

I have a pic somewhere at home. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You could look for that little box of aluminum cone drivers that Hartke used to sell...

6. smifedeg

smifedeg

Apr 28, 2004
    Århus, Denmark
    I've been thinking about that too, and by having a seperate box, it makes the "tryouts" esier.

Your are right on! I can fit them into a Fiat Punto, it's smaller car than a Pacer, so they are pretty easy to move around.

Hola Pete, sounds like you read my mind, I'd like to see that pic!

Cheers all you guys, and Muzikman is probaly right about I had already made up my mind... ;)

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Personally, my favorite mid/treble range setup is that of the Acme Low B-2. You might want to try getting one or two sets of his midrange drivers and tweeters and then sending all the upper mids and highs to there. You might also run the 4x10s full range... Acme speakers are very clean, but if you're looking for a colored SVT style sound, you may find them to be sterile sounding. By running the 4x10s full range and the treble cab with just the highs, you'd basically just be boosting the upper frequencies in a more natural way.