Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question regarding MTD Heir or Kingston

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Feb 19, 2002.

1. I just wanna know how do they sound, interms of brightness of it's tone.

I'm not familiar with basswood, and was wondering how'd they sound in comparison to ash or alder.

2. check out the sound samples on Michael Dimin's site (there's a link in the article on him at the main page of Talkbass). Some of them might be recorded with an Heir. You can also find sound samples on http://www.access-bass.com , a site that's owned by someone on this forum I believe. Sound samples that makes me want a Kingston...

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ive heard that the sound is similiar to ash/alder. The down side is that its soft and the wood doesnt look good with a stain(thats what laminated wood is for). Up side:its very light, good tone, and cheaper.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I think the tone is similar to alder, but with a basswood sort of 'thunk'. It's a good sound, nothing to die for, but a standard passive sound.

My Kingston has a maple neck, so the highs are pretty distinct as well. I'm pleasantly surprised how the highs come through considering the bass has no frills electronics.

I think MTD did the best possible job they could given the cost of the materials and craftsmanship that go into this bass. No bells or whistles, but at $400-500, who expects any? It holds its own as is.

5. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I just got my Heir yesterday and the finish on the body is unbelievable. The tone is decent there is some variations in tones controlling the volume knobs. It is a real slap monster though.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I just played one. I posted an IMO in the other thread, which is here.