Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question regarding powering a 4X10 and a 1X15.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Feb 3, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

If i bought say a 4x10 and a 1X15, or like a 2X12 and a 1X18, what would i need to do to power this......are there any poweramps that both plug into? or does one just power them both as one unit. Also i still dont know what to do regarding ohms would it be better to get 4 ohm 4X10 cabinet and a 4 ohm 1X15? how wouldit be powered?same goes for preamp are their any that handle both seperately to hadel the lows of the 1X15 and the mids and highs of the 4X10?

:confused: :confused: Thanks in advance, I need a lot of help :confused: :confused:

-Brian Schmitt

2. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
  3. rdcalab

rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    hey man, i'm fairly new here.. but do a search. i had the exact same question about two weeks ago and found everything i wanted and then some. hope this helps.

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    One amp will power both cabs.

Just be sure you are running the correct ohm ratings on the cabinets.

If your amp is rated at 300 Watts @ 4 ohms then you will need to run a single 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs to create a 4 ohm load.

Example:

one 2 x 12 cab rated at 4 ohm
    or
    one 2 x 12 rated @ 8 ohms & one 4 x 10 rated @ 8 ohms.

Don't run two 4 ohm cabs together as that will create a 2 ohm load and will most likely over heat and possibly damage your amp.

There are some amps that can run down to 2 ohms but not many.

Of course there are exceptions to everything but that is a basic answer to your question.

5. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    If i had 2 4 ohm cabinets, would a biamp or anythign that says like 300X2, those can power 300w a a 4ohm load to each cab seperately right?

There are preamps that can EQ the two sepereately (1X15, 4X10) right?

6. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    bump

still wondering if there is any way to power a 2X12(4ohm) and a 1X15(4ohm) seperately without creating a 2ohm load. And are their preamps that have dual EQ's? IS there any preamps that allow me to fully EQ both the 2X12 and the 1X15 seperately?

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you have a head or Pre/Power setup that has two channels that can be driven at 4 ohms then yes you can.

I personally don't know of any. In a Pre/Power setup you could put EQ's between the pre and power amp. Like a dual 15 band rack mount unit.

8. There were plenty of Biamp systems that were really great for back in the day. Dual mono as well. The biamp stuff has a variable crossover and would send your lows to one cab and your highs to another. Dual mono sends the same signal to both cabs, but you can adjust the volume level to each cab.