1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question regarding replacement pickups and SBMM Ray35

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpasticTastic, Nov 1, 2013.

1. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I was considering getting the Sterling SUB Ray35, and being a fan of EMGs, was also considering replacing the stock pickup with an EMG MM5TW and possibly throw in an EMG preamp.

BUT, I noticed that the Ray35 pickup isn't like the standard MM 5 -string pickup... it looks like a 4-string MM pickup that was converted for a 5-string, instead of the soapbar shape that regular 5-string MM pickups have.

So, my question is: has anyone ever tried to mess around with pickups on their SBMM (SUB or standard) Ray35? Will I need to mod the pickguard (or possibly get a new one) or bass? Am I stuck with the stock pickup?

I know that I shouldn't be considering changing pickups this early, but I'm wondering in case it needs to be done.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes that shape is proprietary Music Man. There is no direct replacement that I know of so you will need a new pickguard and probably some routing to the body.

Edit...wait are you talking about the Ray35 or the Sterling SUB5? The SUB5 uses a standard MM 5 string pickup. The Ray35 uses the MusicMan proprietary shape, not sure if it's different than what they use in their USA basses.

Either way an MM5TW will not fit directly because it's a whole different shape than either of them.