1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question regarding selling a high end bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greenbass, Jun 9, 2007.

1. greenbass

greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Does anyone recommend selling a high end bass and shipping it C.O.D? I normally sell the bass get the USPS Money order or Cashiers check and then ship the bass insured. Buyer wants to use C.O.D to be covered.

2. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Personally, I would never do this. If its insured, that should be enough. Think of it this way - no way Sadowsky or anyone else will ship their high-end basses COD. If the buyer is that anal, see if a commerical shipper will do the job, or agree to go to a local pro and have him or her inspect prior to shipping.

3. greenbass

greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    That is what I thought. The case is the guy wants the bass has the money orders ready, just doesn't feel comfortable sending that amount of money from california to my location. Ultimately he doesn't want to get swindled out of the money. I understand were he is coming from but I prefer having money in hand before shipping.

Thanks

anyone else?

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Absolutely not! Serious buyer would not deal this way. Paypal protects buyer and seller. There are a million scammers out there. Don't be a victim. If it feels wrong, it is.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Same here. I wouldn't do it any other way.

6. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Is a money order really cash on delivery? If it was actual cash I would trust UPS or Fedex but not if they're just going to pick up a money order and pass that to you. Ask him if he can pay the COD in actual cash, if he balks it's likely he's scamming knowing you have no reasonable recourse.

7. greenbass

greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    no it isn't:meh: I just can't send this bass without the funds. so NO DEAL, Thanks

8. Better find another guy who want's it. Don't run against destiny, LOL.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "Does anyone recommend selling a high end bass and shipping it C.O.D? I normally sell the bass get the USPS Money order or Cashiers check and then ship the bass insured. Buyer wants to use C.O.D to be covered."

Where did you advertise the basst (newspaper, online ad)?
    I share your fellow TB ers views about sending stuff COD......and say don't do it. There are other ways the buyer can try to ensure he won't get taken for a ride by you. For example, you could both join TB as supporting members, list the bass on the classifieds and then follow through with the transaction. Of course, there are no guarantees the guy will get his bass but at he will see that you are a member here and are not afraid to publicize your transaction. You could also call the guy on the phone both at work and at home. He can easily check out your home address and vice versa. If the guy wants the bass bad enough he will send you the cash. If not, then too bad. Someone else will buy it.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If it was me, in Singapore, we'd just meet up. Country is an hour across by car.

I wouldn't do it. COD is a bad idea, really.

11. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't do it.

Money always comes before product, no matter where you purchase something.

If the guy is really having problems you could always use an escrow service. Basically where the guy will send the money to the escrow and you'll send the bass to him... when he gets it he'll release the money from the escrow. Downside is it requires paying the escrow service, which I'd have the guy pay for since he's the one with all the problems.

12. leroy boy

leroy boy Inactive

Nov 26, 2006
    Music City, USA
    cod protects nobody. The buyer could receive a case with a brick in it.

UPS takes about ten days to get the $$ back to the waiting party, by my last experience. I did a few cod's with some wholesalers as a buyer paying with a personal check, but would never do it on either end of a deal with an individual.

If you have ebay feedback or feedback on this forum, perhaps point him in that direction to allay his fears.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Don't do it. Why not write down mutual expectations of the sale and condition of the bass, and then treat it as a Sales Agreement? That's how you get 'covered'.

14. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    What does your location have to do with it? As long as you are both in the lower 48, location shouldn't make any difference. Unless his terms change, I'd suggest walking from this deal.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, let's see. You've got positive feedback on TB, you probably have positive feedback on E-bay, and you have been forthcoming with all the necessary contact information (name, address, phone #, etc.). What else could this guy possible want? Sounds a little fishy to me.

Yet another reason I deal only with fellow TB members...and you know who you are!

Riis

16. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Enroll in some sort of Escrow if hes that worried about it.. Find someone that both mutually agree is a stand up guy.. Both parties send there items to said person, when said person has both he then ships to the appropriate places.

I personally never used Escrow, and WOULD NEVER do COD.. It sounds fishy to me.

17. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I've never had a problem with C.O.D. but figure someone's figured a way to screw people by now.

On a similar note, I just had someone who wanted to buy a bass from me and pay only by bank money order. If I'm taking a money it's USPS only... I can take that to the post office and immediately know if there's a problem with it. Not true with a bank MO.

The sale didn't go through because the person interested in the bass refused to do anything other than a bank money order and his reasoning seemed odd at best. As far as I'm concerned, better safe than sorry on my part:D

19. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    If it's that valuable I would think the buyer should be willing to buy a plane ticket to go see the bass up close and in person and pay cash if everything's ok.

20. greenbass

greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    I pointed that out to him 100% ebay and 100% Talkbass. I just recieved a message from him stating that he will be sending the money orders out on Monday. Thanks for helpful input

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021