Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question regarding the creation of MP3s.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eyescream, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've got two MP3s. One is 5mb and one is 1.7mb, and I'd like to stick the smaller one onto the end of the larger one (I believe the programming term is "concatenate"). The point of this is that there's one section of the recording about 4 minutes long that I'd like to pull out of the (newly enlarged) file that takes place just before the larger file ends and continues into the smaller file.

I have OSX Jaguar with all the normal programs like iTunes and stuff.

Anybody have some ideas as to how I could accomplish this?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I guess you could always dump the two mp3s into a recording program (like Protools or something) and the crossfade the two songs together.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That'd work, I guess.

I think I found a different song I wanna use for this anyway that's by itself, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Shoulda looked a little harder before I posted this, but at least i know how now.

Thanks, man.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    .mp3s aren't really as workable as wave audio. since they are compressed, it's not as feasible to poke them open and parse them up.

So, generally, when you want to do things like that with mp3s, you'll need to uncompress them (convert them into .aif), then load them into a wave editor like Sound Studio. It's a little bit of a to-do, but such is the way of things with compressed files.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Never considered that them being compressed would throw a wrench in it.

Hrm.

6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Get Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer. Just slap the songs end to end and save. Very easy to do, no experience with audio editing required.

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I did a crossfade thing by importing both files into Audacity and just lining up the files so that one would fade into the other. Not tough at all and Audacity's freeware so double-bonus.