Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question(s) about samson sx series power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichaelB_71, Dec 28, 2005.

1. MichaelB_71

MichaelB_71

Dec 24, 2005
    Can anyone give me insight on the new samson sx power amps? I have been looking at them as well as some others for a resonalbe priced replacement. Do they compare well to the rmx qsc series or others? Thanks for your time.

Also, does anyone else have a problem with thier acme b-4 killing poweramps? I have had to send my stuart 2.1 back 2 times now because it dies within a year playing through my acme.

2. etnops

etnops

Nov 6, 2005

great amps. we sell a lot of them here to the home audio folks for subwoofer duty.
    they won't handle loads under 8ohms in bridge duty very well, which usually wont work for 4ohm cabs.
    they've got lots of gain (up to 35dB for the S1000), which is awesome.

i use a qsc rmx850 for my bass rig, and a samson s1000 in my measurement lab (as a reference amp). both have worked flawlessly for over 3 years with no complaints.

i would have no reservations about using a samson for my bass rig. solid amps at a solid price. :)

3. MichaelB_71

MichaelB_71

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I am looking into an sx2400 for my rig, which consists of a sans amp rbi, bbe 482, & acme b4 series II currently, but I am looking at adding a 2x12 cab as well (for volume during live playing). I mainly play rock - metal live, though I do lighter stuff on my own and for studio at lower volume (where my acme is awesome sounding!).

4. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I got an SX1200 last October. I use it with a BBE BMAX to an Avatar b212. I have had absolutely no problems. The B212 is 8ohm. I run the amp bridged.

5. MichaelB_71

MichaelB_71

Dec 24, 2005
    cool, thanks for the feedback - how about that avatar 212, and which model do you have? have heard good things about those cabs, especially as far as bang for buck goes.

6. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I have the Delta LF. It has so much bottom that I cut the bass on my bass all the way. The setting on the BMAX is about 11-12 o'clock. The highs are very nice...not too brittle. No complaints. Also, plenty loud when necessary.

7. MichaelB_71

MichaelB_71

Dec 24, 2005
    Sounds like it would be a nice addition to what I have, especially for the price. I love the sound and clarity of my acme, but the volume is lacking even when I have bridged out my stewart (which eventually dies :crying: ). Of course, that is why I am looking at the samson sx, the backup amp that I have (pv1500) won't handle the B4 hardly at all. Thanks again!