1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question:Sansamp Bass Driver or Aguilar Tone Hammer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NatalyPlaysBass, Aug 12, 2012.

1. I have the Sansamp but I hear great things about the tone hammer. I love my sansamp but I'm wondering if I would love the tone hammer as well. I play punk rock/pop punk (obviously I'm a pick player. I'm trying to capture Mark Hoppus' tone(from blink 182) and Mike Dirnts(greenday).

And also if I decide to stick with the sansamp, is it worth upgrading to the RBI? because I love the DI tone but I don't want to lose it if I got the RBI, I'd like to add to the tone I get from the DI. If the RBI just simply adds then I'll probably go with that.

Any thoughts? All of your guys' input would be much appreciated :hyper:

2. More mids!

3. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    From what you told, SansAmp will suit you more.

I've never tried the RBI, but the Tone Hammer DI is very transparent with more headroom and control for the mids. The TH also have the AGS circuit wich gives a dB boost, a more mid focused tone with some "hair" when engaged but it will not color your tone as much as the bass driver.

I think of it this way: Bass Driver = tone coloring (amp simulator), Tone Hammer = more natural tone with mid control.

Hope this help.

4. Thank you for your input! What do you think of the Sansamp VT vs the bass driver? I love the bass driver and I have the opportunity to get an RBI. but I was wondering if I should try the VT to see if it sounds better. OR! would they go good together? I'm curious about the tone hammer too... aaaahh so many. Anyway I'm after this sound:

Any help or advive would be greatly appreciated.

5. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Our Para Driver DI with its sweepable midrange control is more similar to the Tone Hammer. Both our Bass Driver DI and Para Driver DI can be used as transparent preamp/DI's with tonal shaping by turning off the SansAmp circuit. With the blend controls turned counterclockwise and the EQ controls at their null points both units are flat response.

The RBI is our rack version of the Bass Driver DI. It has more features and also has more midrange control. Our RPM is the rackmount version of our Para Driver DI.

The Bass Driver/RBI is great for those that want to get that specific sound with a minimum of tweaking. The Para Driver/RPM with its sweepable midrange is more open ended and also works well on other instruments as well as bass.

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    So of the three mentioned here, which would you use to achieve a fairly clean and slightly eq'd sound?

7. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    If you're after that tone, the Bass Driver will get you there with any decent P bass and new stainless steel roundwounds. Although it can be acheived with the Tone Hammer (more natural and hi fi) or the VT Bass (amp + cab simulation).

IMO, the one that is more "inclined" to that style of music is definitely the VT. The RBI seems to be very versatile. More expensive but if you have a good deal for one, it should be like your Bass Driver with bonuses (post #5). The VT into the Bass Driver or vise versa, you will just end up with a lot of unwanted noises and not much improvement.

All of this will make some differences if you go through a power amplifier (direct) or a regular one (like an Ampeg SVT head). I like to use the Tone Hammer or Bass Driver or the VT Bass direct to avoid more processing.

:bassist:

8. Thank you Tech21 (love your products by the way) and Razz! Razz your input really helped me. You're right, I tried the BDDI with the VT and... it didn't sound good. Now that I have both, I think I might return the BDDI. As much as i dig the sound, i think the VT is pointing me in the right direction. Plus I'll get more money back. If there's anything else I can add to my VT to get me closer to that tone i'm after, please let me know :) i'm open for suggestions.

Thank you all
    Natalie

9. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    SS rounds is probably the most important part. That, and P/U's with ceramic magnets.

10. tekdriver's spot on, that tone is pure P-bass, new string and pick sound. No need for a bass-driver or anything like that to get that tone, only reason might be if you aren't a fan of your amp and want something to give it a different colour, but you wouldn't wanna use any overdrive on them. The bassdriver is far too scooped to get that kinda tone, I'd go for the VT if you feel you need something to make your amp sound different, then just run it into a power amp input on your head if you have one to bypass your amps pre.

11. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    Your're welcome Natalie.

I think the VT will cover a good part of what you are looking for. The next thing would be to have a Precision type of bass if you don't already have, it's essential for the type of tone you want. Good pick ups will improve the quality of your sound. I don't have much experience with pick ups replacement, so others members might chime in. The only replacement I did was with EMG X (Precision/Jazz set). Great ouput, very clear sound with virtually no 60 Hz cycle hum. The split coil soloed sounds like a Precision bass should.

The strings are the second most important part. IMO, stainless steel would be great for the type of sound you want. I like to use Rotosound 66 SS with my 51 Precision RI (single coil pick up with Alnico type of magnets I think). Very bright with nice ringing overtones. They are a bit "sticky" (steel wool feel sort of) when they are fresh out of the pack. For my other Precision with EMG, I prefer the DR Lo Riders. More balanced tone with a bit more growl. Bass strings are quite expensive so you might want to make a good search for other options and before buying.

Good luck!

12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Ive had both the bass driver and the VT bass at the same time. Either one will get that tone but I liked the Bass Driver better because it seemed that was the only tone the VT bass would get but the Bass Driver I could easily dial on a bunch of good tones.

13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I like the TH but the BDDI just works/sounds better to me. It's simpler, uses a standard power supply, takes up less space and if you need more mid control the paradriver appears to be able to handle that (haven't tried one though). Personally, I can't stand the buffering on the Aguilar units because it just "sounds bad" to me based on experiences with the TH, the rackmount Agro, and the Agro pedal. Placing it first in the chain is a must so if I want to run pedals in front of it, I get sounds like there's a limiter being kicked on and the raw, edgy tones I like are being squashed. I wouldn't recommend the RBI unless you wanted to go to a modular rack setup. There's no advantage to it IMO because while you gain a mid control, you lose the portability of the pedal; which is important to me because it stays on a pedal board. The BDDI is a little more affordable too but don't get me wrong, both pedals are good.

Just my $.02.