Question: Smoke Stains on White Finish (cleaning)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jadesmar, Oct 31, 2005.

1. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
  2. The white basses and guitars I've had have all yellowed with time and were not exposed to smoke.

I imagine, but don't know, that UV light would be the culprit.
  3. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    My bass spends most of it's time on a stand in my rehearsal hall. The lights are on in the hall only when we are practicing. Other than that it's on stage with me.

The only light it sees is basically that of the coloured spotlights in the rehearsal room and live. It never goes outside.

Anyhow, basically what I am getting from this is that the yellowing is natural, happens to everyone and no one knows how to stop/slow it's progress. :(
  4. Some UV light does get through window glass. Ever notice that a section of carpet exposed to sunlight gets bleached?
  5. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    True, however, my rehearsal hall has no windows and no unnatural lighting. :(
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So your rehearsal space is just a dark room? Sounds more like a cell.
  7. Regardless, whatever the actual cause, to my knowledge yellowing of white finishes on guitars is a common problem.
  8. clean it with a sponge and hot water with dishwashing liquid...

and then give her a polish with a little carnuba car wax (never use silicone)...

if she doesn't come clean, it's not smoke, it's UV...and there's nothing wrong with that...