Question: Strings rests...??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by asian fish, Dec 21, 2003.

1. asian fish

asian fish

Mar 18, 2003

I probably should know this but I was wondering what tightening or loosening these things (the things circled in red) do?
    I know, depending on which you do, it brings the string closer to the bass, but what is the advantage/disatvantage of doing this...?
    Thanks in advance...

2. These are commonly known as "saddles".

Basically, they are used for intonation; bad intonation can lead to some notes sounding a little "off", flat or sharp, especially when playing harmonics.

A good intonation does the opposite, and will make all the notes on your bass sound exact.

If you go on over to the set up forum and do a search, you'll be able to find plenty of good walk-thrus oh how to intonate!

good luck. :)
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Besides adjusting intonation, they also assist in raising or lowering the action on the bass, in conjunction with the truss rod and nut maintenance. Do a search in the Setup forum for action.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Even better, I'll move this over to Setup for you.
  5. Mr. Fish,

check these sites for help with intonation and action.

The advantages are, if your action is to low or to high you can adjust it by raising or lowering your bridge saddles.

They are also part of the intonation equation.

Good Luck.