Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question:Tailpieces

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by LeftyFenderJazz, Sep 15, 2002.

1. LeftyFenderJazz

LeftyFenderJazz

Aug 11, 2002
    New York
    Can someone give me a overview of tailpieces on uprights?

I'm curious of the following:

Do restorers of vintage/high end basses use off the shelf replacements or do they build their own tailpieces?

I have an early 1900's bass to be restored soon and I am not sure what kind of tailpiece to purchase.

I recently purchased the bass It will be restored. At first I dared to think about doing some of it myself, but after reading Jeff Bollbach's site I know its not the right thing to do in terms of the instruments historical significance, value and playability.

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!

What's wrong with the tail piece? Unless it is broken or made of soft wood why go to the expence. Just being old does not mean it is bad.

What kind of bass is it?

My $0.02 worth.

Joe

3. LeftyFenderJazz

LeftyFenderJazz

Aug 11, 2002
    New York
    its a 1930's Czech bass. You might of misunderstood me, sorry, It doesnt have a tailpiece right now. I ned to get one. SO i dont know what to get, a off the shelf one or are thier others?

i dont want to detract from its value for when its finished

4. As with everything else about bass design, tail pieces are not that simple a matter. There are length and weight considerations. I can't pretend to know them with my favorite luthier looking over my shoulder. Speak up, guys.