Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question to all the doublers here

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Nemesis, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    I`m playing electric bass and I wanted to start upright, too, because it`s such a fascinating instrument. The problem is, that both instrument are, what technique is concerned, very different.

I was wondering, whether somebody of you can post his experiences in terms of practising time, which bass do you practise most, how do you get along with your profession/university and the double bass, how fast did you develop, etc.

Something about my situation:

I`m playing in a jazz/funk/jazz-rock-trio. However, I`m not only interested in jazz, but rock and a lot of other music styles, too.

Thanks for your answers.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would answer but I've only been playing upright 6 months and that's not exactly enough time to answer questions like yours and be qualified. Except for the practice issue...since getting the upright, I almost never practice the electric anymore. Which I'm starting to see is a mistake because my electric chops are going to hell.

3. Try this or this or this. These are just a few threads that may give you some ideas of what you are getting into. Just be warned that the big bass is extremely addictive.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i practice both because i gig on both but i practice db 80% of the time and electric the rest.