Question to all the doublers here

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Nemesis, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Nemesis

Apr 24, 2005
    I`m playing electric bass and I wanted to start upright, too, because it`s such a fascinating instrument. The problem is, that both instrument are, what technique is concerned, very different.

I was wondering, whether somebody of you can post his experiences in terms of practising time, which bass do you practise most, how do you get along with your profession/university and the double bass, how fast did you develop, etc.

Something about my situation:

I`m playing in a jazz/funk/jazz-rock-trio. However, I`m not only interested in jazz, but rock and a lot of other music styles, too.

Thanks for your answers.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would answer but I've only been playing upright 6 months and that's not exactly enough time to answer questions like yours and be qualified. Except for the practice issue...since getting the upright, I almost never practice the electric anymore. Which I'm starting to see is a mistake because my electric chops are going to hell.
  3. Try this or this or this. These are just a few threads that may give you some ideas of what you are getting into. Just be warned that the big bass is extremely addictive.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i practice both because i gig on both but i practice db 80% of the time and electric the rest.