Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question to all Victor Wooten Fans

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cloud9mission, Apr 20, 2003.

1. cloud9mission

cloud9mission

Apr 4, 2003
    England
    Have any of you actually tried that thumb down, thumb up technique & does it hurt you as much as it hurts me?? I think I might be doing something wrong

Lewis

2. Yes, I have done it. It doesn't hurt if you do it right. The key is practice, patience and a lot of tolerance. One you first begin to experiment with it, you will feel some pain I would think, but for me it didnt. I dont know what to say. Perhaps you should re-evaluate your approach because it didnt hurt me when I do it. It take a lot of coordination, so when you do it, start out slow and then progress in speed. You will be more pleased and it will be less of a horrid conglomoration of sound and more of a triplet:) :) :)
    enjoy
    :bassist:

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I first started double thumpin a year ago, it hurt every once in a while, but it doesn't hurt anymore.

practice makes perfect.

4. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    I've been messing with the funny little thumb tricks... I usually do some long jam in rough slap style first, so my thumb is too swollen and numb to feel anything :D I know, not smart. But a lot of fun!

5. cloud9mission

cloud9mission

Apr 4, 2003
    England
    Any advice or tips???

6. Advice would be to literally practice for hours. I killed myself sitting there on each string doing thumb down, thumb up, pluck one pluck two, and it helped develop the chops, but I only really started using that technique when I applied to in a musical way... i.e. articulating a slapped passage more so, or playing something you normally wouldn't slap with that double thumb. The only thing that bothered me physically was the way my nail would get scratched up, but thats no biggy. Go to Vics site to www.victorwooten.com and under lessons he has cool stuff. If you don't own it, His bass day video is amazing, I've watched it atleast 20 times in the last couple of months

7. cloud9mission

cloud9mission

Apr 4, 2003
    England
    Yeah thats the vid I got from hudson music. Its incredable, loadsa inspiration in there.

8. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    That video is great! When you say it hurts, are you talking inside, or are you talking abrasions on your thumb? Because it is pretty rough on the exterior of the thumb. I've have a funny looking little calluse on the side of mine right where the nail ends. However, if your muscles/tendons hurt, be careful! That could be something more serious.

9. cloud9mission

cloud9mission

Apr 4, 2003
    England
    No tendon pain just scratches your thumb up

10. how do you keep notes played on the E A and D stings fluid and clean while using the Vic technique?

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Practice.