Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

QUESTION TO AMPEG B100R OWNERS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuno A., Feb 11, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello there.I would like to ask you somewthing,i know it sounds pretty stupid but.......
    I just bought an ampeg b100r and i really like the sound....it was cheap and gives me a fat tone...great.
    but today when i was plugging the electric cable in the wall, i looked inside these 2 holes on the back and i found out inside the amp 2 cardboard cilinders....
    i took them out since they were loose but i've been asking myself the purpose of that.....if it happened due to shipping p or they got there with any kind of purpose that i dont know....
    all information is welcome.
    thanks in advance

N. A.

2. yikes! I'm pretty sure they have a purpose, and that's porting. May or may not make much of a difference in sound.....

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The cardboard cylinders are meant to be in the amp. They are part of the ports(the holes) on the back of the amp that give you that low-end. They were put there specifically...they aren't part of any packaging material. Keep em in!

4. PUT THEM BACK IN! They're the tuned ports. They're designed to enhance certain frequencies. I don't know exactly which ones, but, leaving them out will probably make the amp less efficient, and honk on certain notes. Don't play aroundl with an amp's ports, unless you really know what you're doing.

Mike J.

5. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    OH BOY......
    NOW TO PUT THEM BACK.......IS THERE ANY SPECIAL POSITON??????
    THEY WERE LOOSE INSIDE THE AMP, THEY WERE NOT STUCKED, SO I GUESS THE IMPORTANT IS TO PUT THEM BACK RIGHT???
    ONE OF THEM IS GOT LIGHT CRACKS ON THE BOARD....
    DO YOU RECOMEND GOING TO A MUSIC STORE????
    THANKS AGAIN.

N.A.

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yes.

If they were broken when you got it, whever you bought it from should fix it. (for free)