1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question to ampeg v4b owner please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bouncy, Sep 25, 2017.

1. bouncy

bouncy

Sep 25, 2017
    Sorry for double posting. I am a new member, posted once over the "new member" side.
    I am 56, just start playing, no big dream, for fun only.

I bought a set of minty 1974 v4b with V6-b cab on the weekend from a 71 yrs old musician. He already updated the filter cap with F&T cap, a new set of JJ 6l6, preamp tubes are original. He told me 6l6 will work just fine. I am not after the big sound, should I switch it back to 7027a? what is your thought?

Cheers.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    7027a's are really 6L6GC's with a different pinout. At least that's what they are these days, and from what I'm told, old ones are more alike than different. I don't know...I liked my old V4B with 7027's, I like my new one with 6L6's. I could go either way, but you definitely have more choices with 6L6's.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Essentially, a few internal pin connections (5-6 and 1-4) and higher power handling in the 7027A versus 6L6GC. Not exact matches, but close enough in the right circumstances. People run 6L6GC in vintage V4/B amps, I like to stick to 7027A but I've not had good luck with new production and NOS get expensive.

As you mentioned, new production tubes are generally regarded as just a 6L6GC with the extra connections. The JJ datasheets available for their 7027A are listed with 500V power handling, 100V shy of NOS 7027A. I have sovtek boxes that say 7027A but they aren't listed on the new sensor website.

I'd say if the amp was checked by a tech, biased appropriately, and seems stable, then it's fine. Keep an eye on the tubes, if the amp suddenly makes weird noises and a tube is glowing like a tomato shut it down. If it sounds good and stays stable it's probably fine.

Another alternative is the new sensor tung sol 7581A reissues. I've heard good things from a few people using these in their V and B series ampegs and I think @beans-on-toast has been using them in his V4. Similar story, they're close enough to a 6L6GC in these amps to be run as a replacement.

JimmyM likes this.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes the reissue Tung-Sol 7581A is plug in compatible with the 7027A and works well in my vintage V4B. I did rebias it.

You can run a 6550 in the V4B. Ampeg offered this as an option.

But good news, Tung-Sol is now offering a reissue 7027A. If it is anything like the 7581A, it’s worth a try.

www.thetubestore.com - Tung-Sol 7027A Audio Tubes.

With the higher plate voltages in the V4, a 6L6GC will work but it will not have a very long service life in comparison to a 7027A, etc.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I hadn't seen these yet. Might be worth a try, I've liked most of the tung sol reissue stuff that new sensor has been putting out.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020