1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question to CS Fender owners or other Boutique Fender Clone Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Exo-Politician, Jun 2, 2017.

1. I am curious to get some input as to what sets your bass above a regular Fender or similar as far as tone goes.

My reasons are that I own a fantastic reasonably top shelf Custom Mustang Bass which don't get me wrong, is pretty much perfect in every way and I do love it.

However, I play in several bands currently where I am very effects and amp heavy and I wonder whether the bass's tone is lost and probably no worse off with a 80s MIJ Fender or similar and put the cash towards a new amp.

I've had a few customs over the years but nearly all of them were purchased because I wanted a certain look and honestly I felt I was paying for the Custom Colour more than anything.

So how does your Custom Fender or whatever you have differ from a regular Jazz, Precision etc. as far as tone and playability alone?

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm just gonna cut to the chase and recommend you go "The Way Of The Parts-Bass". Within reason, you can get the look, feel and sound you want at a fraction of the cost. To that effect, I've created my own "custom" beauty which is fairly, if not absolutely, unique. If I want to change the sound, there are plethoras of strings, pickups and electronics I can try out. It's just a matter of having the drive, not to mention a little bit of coin rattling around in my pocket/jacket/couch, to devote to it.

DSCF0631_zpsnjoqnxpd.

ExaltBass, dls119 and superdick2112 like this.
  3. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    The clones I have owned have all been excellent when it comes to tone and feel... the care in which they were made when it comes to stuff like body shaping, fretwork, electronic construction and installation have all been consistently well done....the only thing is, as far as I'm concerned, is that they gave me a Fender-type tone, but they didn't sound much like a Fender (with the exception of an LG-5 I once had) and ultimately that's what I was looking for was a bass that sounded and played like the old Fenders I had played ...I went with Fender Custom Shop and found what I was looking for...the Fender sound with playability on par with any boutique out there...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    B-line and Midak like this.
  4. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Also, you don't really have to spend boutique money..the Fender Pro stuff is very nice....it won't sound old, but they sound great...

5. I've had (2) "boutiques" An FCS P-Bass and an A/C Jazz.

IME both instruments had craftsmanship that was a cut above the many fine "production" basses from Fender, MusicMan, G&L, etc.

In the case of the A/C, the neck and fretboard were superb, the FCS P-Bass had a select light ash body, nitro finish, RDS bridge, and a unique double pup configuration.
    To me, both played and sounded top-tier.

Some don't feel this difference, or see it, hear it, or think it worth the extra $$. Totally cool, but I do & I'm good w/ spending the extra cash for these builders, or say, a Lakland or Lull, among others.

As always: IMO. YMMV, my .02.

GregC and Ace Of Bass like this.
  6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The idea of a custom bass is to get a bass that is perfect for YOU. Someone else might hate it. If you have a bass that is perfect in every way and you love it, then there is no need for a custom bass.

I've had three Fender reproductions made for me by Ben Lindsey. I love them, somebody else might hate them.

ExaltBass and Malak the Mad like this.