Question to PASSIVE Corvette owners

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Oct 16, 2002.

1. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Hi guys

I am thinking about buying a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 strings soon. I don't know if I'm going with the active or passive one.

I would like to hear from someone who has a passive warwick corvette standard (with "Dynamic Correction" pickups) if you have noise problems from the pickups, especially when you play with one pickup soloed.

I am asking this because their website doesn't say if those pickups are single coil or hum-cancelling.I like passive basses but don't wanna have problems with noisy pickups!

2. FatBottom

FatBottom Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    Minnesota, USA
    I have a Warwick Corvette Standard fretted passive 4-string with the "Dynamic Correction" pickups. I have absolutely no unwanted noise or hiss from either pickup when soloed (or when used together for that matter).

It's an awesome bass, especially for the money! Go for it...
  3. dude, I have a fretless Corvette w/passive DC pickups and it sounds great. Thinking about putting in a preamp, though, I want a little more bottom. The bridge pickup sounds great soloed, but needs a little more oomph.

Dont worry, you'll be fine w/the passive.
  4. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Thanks, guys!

Yes, that's surely a great bass!

Warwick owners, keep your inputs coming, please!
  5. I got a 97 proline corvette thats passive. Don't know what kind of pickups are in it though. It sounds good to me.
  6. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    BoogieNight, you prob saw my post about Corvette p/up noise. you shouldn't have my active noise on your side of the 'pond'. i got an email form dana B, Goodes tech support, they said when they took on the Corvette active model, they specifically asked for the fully active p/ups which are hum cancelling, not the passive ones with preamp, as in the european model, like I've got.
    So either model should be quiet.
  7. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Tks, I think I'll definitely buy that bass, just waiting for some economic "turbulences" in my country to go away, I know the owner didn't sell the bass yet.
  8. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Just for your knowledge yesterday I went to a shop ans tryed a passive corvette. I maxed out the treble on the amp (poor quality one) and "opened" the tone on the bass and was unable to hear any noise! Incredible!

Here's what Dana B Goods Tech Support told me: "(...) the passive pickups are single coil & are prone to 60 (or 50) cycle hum even when both are selected together. This doesn't make them unusable for recording, just a lot more trouble keeping the noise down.
    I personally prefer active set-ups because they are very quiet - you can pretty much forget about noise from them. The only disadvantage is having to check that the battery doesn't run down, but they last 50 hours or so, so it's not a big problem.
    Rob Busch/Warwick technical support"