1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question to SX Jazz owners (Pickguards)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I am considering buying one of the new SX jazz 3tsb with the improved pups, bridge and hand filed fretts. My question is: how much , if any, modification must be done to a fender jazz pickguard to make it fit the Sx well? I want to replace the stock white one w/ a tort. Anything other sugestions would be appreciated.

2. Not sure about the Fender brand pickguards, but I bought a Tort off brand PBass pickguard for my SX PJ. Can't recall where I got it from, but it was cheap ($28) and I'm probably going to order another one for my MIM Fender Jazz. The online store was something like AZGuitars.com. I think. I found them from a thread here.

As usual, none of the holes line up, not to mention that there are only 8 holes on my SX and 13 on the off brand pickguard. So I had to drill new holes in the body. Or you can drill new holes in the pickguard to fit the holes already in the body. Whichever is less painful to you.

Also had to dremel the part of the guard that fits around the neck because there was too much material.

Other than that it fits and looks great!

3. i have an SX 5 string jazz that i replaced the pg on. it didn't fit at all but with a bit of modification it worked out pretty good.

4. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Some people have mentioned emailing Kurt for different colored pickguards which fit perfectly (since they're for SX basses, duh).

5. that may work for a 4 string but when i called for a 5 string pg he said he didn't stock any.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I just bought a pearloid PG on eBay for $17.99 for my MIM P bass. The screw holes look like they line up (the PG doesn't have a hole just under the bridge PU though and my Fender does) but if they don't, I will drill new holes in the bass.

After all I paid under $250 for my used P and don't think of it as an investment quality bass.