1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question to the POD XT Pro users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ireidt, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Just got a job, and I have been looking at getting the Bass PODXT Pro for a while, I just like it better than the X3, mainly since I can put it in a rack.

Anyway, I know it is supposed to be used as a pre amp, which is fine, but I have two questions that are kinda amp related, kinda effect related.

Effect wise: I do a lot of looping, I have the Boss 20XL and thinking up upgrading to the Boss 50 blah blah ( cant remember the full name :p )

Can I hook up my pedal board to the POD, then run the POD to the loop pedal, then into the power amp so I can use the effects in the POD with the looper? Probably easier to get a rack mounted looper but thats more money.

amp wise: well more of a cab question. A lot of people I talked to and searched the forums says to get a flat cab, and I have no CLUE what this means. I am looking at an avatar cab right now, the B410 Neo found at avatarspeakers.com ( plus I like the Blue Tolex :D ). Would this be good for what I am looking for?

and another noob question that I should know, whats the difference between 4 and 8 ohms?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Flat" means it does not emphasize (or scoop) any frequencies exaggeratedly compared to the other frequencies. Ask the amp manufacturer for a graph of the cab's frequency response. If they don't have one to show you, then ask in the amps forum for peoples' opinions of the frequency response "shape" or "voicing" of that particular cab.

Re: ohms, there's a FAQ in the Amps forum.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The signal chain you describe makes sense to me:

Board -> POD -> Looper -> Power Amp -> Cab

Makes me wish the POD had a looper....

4. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Yea thats the one feature I wish was in the POD, and thanks bongomania, I'll check them out, just wanted to post here since its about the POD mostly.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've checked into "flat" cabs, and the ones that are often mentioned are the Berg IP series (full name is Bergatino, i think...)

Also check out the Roland D-Bass series. They have a "flat" pre amp eq setting.

I even have reviews of both from some bass mags. I just dont know what issues lol

6. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Well the X3 Pro was just announced, so I might grab that instead of the POD XT pro. but Probably same same deal.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I split my signal ...

I run one signal into my bass pod 1 and model the old ampeg flip top amp amd I model the rat distortion pedal ... this gives me a mid growlly distorted sound.

I run one signal into a mxr bass di+ for a clean signal which goes into a compressor.

Then I run both signals into a Rolls 4 channel mixer where I blend the 2 signals back into one.

Then I run it into an ampeg b2r with 2 2x10 cabinets.

I am not a fan of effect looping ... I run 2 effect lines as a front end into the front of the amp.

:bassist:

8. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    I use my POD as a Live or recording DI so I can send two signals ,one with head /cabnet emulation and FX ,and the other dry. I have used it as my preamp in my live rig and it sounded great but im not going to give up my G-K pre just yet. Good luck on your decision.