1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question to Warwick owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beskyd, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Beskyd

Beskyd

May 23, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Does anyone have experience of "thinning" the neck of your warwick?
    One guy told me that it could be tricky, because of some specific features of warwick necks.
    I know excellent luthier here who can do such operation, but I'm not sure if it is safe.

Note to moderators: Sorry if I posted this thread in wrong directory. Luthier's corner/Setup&Repair?:confused:

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Not sure if your warwick would appreciate that, after you do it, it'll probably play smoke on the water... over and over again.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hmm, if you do it, good luck to you, but I wouldn't touch mine.

4. farfadet

farfadet

Jan 26, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
    Thinner neck profile is now one of the Warwick custom shop option so i guess you could go for it. I don't think their neck construction differs depending on the profile but maybe you should go on the 'wick forum and ask -> http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/index.php
    >

5. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    It shouldn't be too hard to do. I've sanded the back of my Warwick using 400 grit sandpaper. I would suggest removing the neck, nut and tuners first. I would then mask off the area that fits in the neck pocket. You don't want to sand that. I would also mask off the headstock plastic area. Then I would start with 240 grit, sanding gently with the grain followed by 400 grit and an application of danish oil. Just sand gently so you don't flatten the back of the neck anywhere. That wood sands pretty easy with 400 grit. The only issue I see is sanding the side of the fret board. I don't think I would want to do that.

My Warwick was two years old and had never been waxed when I purchased it. The wood on the neck and body had expanded in a few areas. I could feel a ridge running down the neck all the way through the headstock. I removed the tuners and smoothed out the neck in just a few minutes. Make sure you apply a coat or two of danish oil. DO NOT APPLY GUNSTOCK TRU-OIL. It will get shinny, sticky and smelly.

6. FretlessArt

FretlessArt

Jan 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    There is always risk when doing modifications. A master luthier could pull it off without it looking modified. If you have a bolt on neck mayby you can find a different neck to work on so you dont disturb the OEM design. If you modify it, it might lose value should you go to sell it.

I have 4 Warwicks; i thought about thining out the Infinity SN just a tad. To me the Neck thru Streamer seems to have the smallest neck profile. Which Warwick do you have?

7. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Well, I'd just find an OLDER (1995ish) Wenge Wood necked Warwick. Nice thin, playable neck!:bassist:

8. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I've done some neck work on both of my Warwicks, having had an experience similar to WarMan's regarding some wood expansion. I've also replaced the truss rod in my Fortress (fun fact: Warwick used to use a removable truss rod in some of their basses). I haven't noticed anything in the neck construction that would present an obstacle to reshaping, but I'm certainly no expert.

I used to have that happen when I first started using Tru-Oil, which I've used on both necks and bodies. In my experience it's a consequence of applying the Tru-Oil too heavily and not allowing proper drying time. I now apply it in thin coats, wipe off any excess, allow plenty of time between applications, and buff after the final coat. The level of shine is more a product of the amount of buffing rather than an inherent quality of the oil.

As always, YMMV.

J.

9. Beskyd

Beskyd

May 23, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I have Vampyre SN 5 (it's in the profile ;)) so I cannot remove the neck. I've already modified the bass - replaced the upper knob for better balance, so that is not big issue (anyway the guy is very experienced - works for Vinny&Joey from time to time so amendment will be done flawlessly).
    My main concern is how deep is the trussroad in the neck and possibility of twisting after thinning, though ovangkol seems to be very stiff and hard wood.

10. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    Someone here or on the warwick forum had this done. I'd try searching.