Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question: Used Carvin 6 String Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Happy Holidays Everyone!

I am home for the holidays here in Cleveland, OH. I stopped in one of my favorite place GC in Mayfield, OH. I can across a really nice used Carvin 6 String Fretless. :hyper:

It just so happens that I have been thinking of getting a fretless, but I was not quite sure about a 6'er. I've been playing again for over a year and I am not quite sure if I should take this leap, main;y because this is an unlined fretless and I don't think that I have th skill need to play this well. However the price is right under 6 bills i think. :help:

Just wanted another opinion, I am some what familiar with Carvin but not that much. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!!! :)

I hope that everyone out there has a safe and blessed New Year!

Peace
    Big Ce :bassist:

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i personally like Carvins, but everybody is different. i just got a fretted 5 string. i guess my "problem" is similar, just one string and 24 frets less. i'd say go and give it a try and see if you like it. spend some time with it and see how it feels.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Do it. If nothing else, it will make for a good stage prop until you're bold enough to use it. :bassist:

4. I had played for 5 years when I jumped from 4 to 6. I am so glad that I did it. Other people may not like the 6 because the neck is so wide. I don't have much trouble even with my wideneck 6 because mu hands are so big. My friends have deemed them "ape hands". If you can handle the ergonomics, then go for it.

I've played a lined fretless before, and the adjustment is very easy to make. I've never played an unlined fretless, though. I don't know how they are marked on top of the neck, but I imagine that just knowing where the frets are supposed to be will let you adjust quickly. I wouldn't play unlined fretless if you have a bad ear, though. Intonation is a key element of fretless playing.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    How will you ever develop the skill to play it well unless you take the plunge? The question is: are you sufficiently motivated to make the committment?

On the issue of Carvins in general, count me as a fan. I own three of them thus far, and think that they're generally in the quality range of instruments costing three times as much. The fretless instruments are particularly nice - maybe because Carvins are constructed to such close tolerances - a factor particularly important in fretless instruments...

MM

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    How about just getting some ear training to improve one's ear? Instead of selecting an instrument to conform to one's limitations as a musician, how about selecting an instrument to open up one's potential - then step up to realize that potential?

MM

7. Very good suggestion. I never thought about that. I bow out to a veteran.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A bad ear will curtail a general interest in music.

9. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    My first fretless and 6 string bass was A carvin and I loved it and regret selling it. I found playing fretless espicaly unlined really improved my playing and pitch.I dont have a good ear but it really didnt hinder me any.Fretless isnt really that hard to pickup and theirs some good books to help you improve besides practice.

10. Thanks for the words of encouragement, I will take another look at this bass and I think that she just might be going home with me.

I forgot to mention that I am also an owner of a Yamaha TRB 6, I really like that bass alot, and when I saw the Carvin 6 string fretless that really got me thinking. The neck size was and has not been an issue for me it was just the fact that was a little doubtful regarding my skill. Me skills have come along way with my year and a half of so of daily playing.

I think that I might regret the fact of possible missing out on a really nice bass and I might also miss out on doing something that could definately improve my playing over all. Thanks for the input you are all great!!! Happy New Year and keep up the good work. If I pick this bass up I will get back with everyone and let everyone know how things are going.

Peace
    Big Ce :bassist:

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I had an unlined 6 string Carvin Fretless, but I traded it for a fretted 6 string Carvin (I have a lined 5 string Carvin fretless that I use a lot). My problem was that I wanted a 6 string to experiment with more chordal work and I struggled to get the chords perfectly in tune on the unlied fretless. I found I was trying to play to many chords where I needed frets to help me with the physical stretch that was required, so a fretless 6 was not what I was looking for. The bass I traded away was exquisitely made and was a beautiful red quilt - it was quite a looker and a very good player as well. If you are not looking for a six for the same limited use I was wanting one for, an unlined Carvin is a good choice.

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    My first 5 string (and first and only frettless) is an unlined carvin frettless. I would say go for it. Since purchasing it in 2000 I have honestly not felt any need to even consider purchasing anothr frettless. Carvins are very well made instruments, but you will have to decide for yourself if it's the instrument for you.

As far as lined and unlined...Unless you are looking to do alot of fast chording, unlined is definately the way to go (though their are numerous threads debating this assertion) for the following reasons...

1. You still have side dots at the fret positions for every 2 fretts or so.

2. it looks amazing on stage and quite impressive when jamming.

3 It is great ear training and developing finger accuracy

4 You get alot fewer people asking to borrow your bass