question...what is better? hooking into pa or cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volumefiend, Aug 31, 2003.

1. pa

1 vote(s)
  2. cabs

8 vote(s)
  1. question...what is better? hooking into pa or cabs?
  2. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Cabs are great but if you want to be heard at a larger venue the PA is the only way to go. Most use both.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

cabs for your monitor, PA for crowd.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always use cabs, and if I need the extra volume, I usually mic the 2x10. IMO it sounds better than the direct out on my bass.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The best results I've had were with my rig and monitor wedges from the PA for the stage sound and a good PA for the FOH sound.

With good monitors you could even do without the rig and just go direct.

I'd love to play some gigs with in-ear monitoring, it must be awesome when you have a good system.
  6. dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    PA if you can, and cabs if you must. There are times you just have to make your own sound. If you have or are using a good PA you can just leave the extra cabs at home:)

(my back feels better already....)

7. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    It depends if you own a PA with Subs.

If you have a PA but no subs, then chances are you will not have decent lows.

If don't have a PA and you rely on whatever a Club or venue has then you may find that your sound is at the mercy of the club. Some clubs like to mix the Bass "high" with Low-Mids but no deep lows. Some clubs like to mix drums really loud and don't care what the bass sounds like.
    Some clubs will not have decent PA systems.

In that case, it would be good to have your own cabs that can handle the lows.