Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question with this who know about piercings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 17, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm starting my new job tomorrow, which has a casual dress code. No facial hair, no sideburns below ears, and no piercings. :scowl: I've wanted to pierce and stretch my ears for the longest time now, but now that I start this job, I can't have them in. I know that you have to leave piercings in for about 6 weeks to let them heal, but does anyone know way I could still pierce them, and let them heal, without any visible stud, ring, or plug. I've thought maybe piercing them on a Friday night, keep the rings in for the weekend, then on monday stick something in them, such as a small piece of toothpick or something of the like. Does anyone have any realistic suggestions?

2. There are clear-plastic things that you can buy for pierced ears that are invisible. I used to use them when I first got my nipple pierced so that when I took my ring out to play rugby it didn't heal over. Go to a pharmacy (drug store) and they should have them. Pretty common these days. I don't see how you stretch them and do something similar, though.

Leigh

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    So if I pierced my ears, let them heal over the weekend, and then put these in, I'll be good?

I'm only wanting to stretch my ears to 10g. Know anything I could do for that?

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Invest in a good set of retainers. Make sure they are the correct gauge for your piercings. Ask your piercer if they will use those for the initial piercings. If they wont its best to leave your regular jewelry in for 2-3 weeks before changing them. Ask your piercer about tapering and whats best for you. As for stretching them and hiding them go here and take a look around; http://kaossoftwear.com/index.htm

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm probably going to start out with 14g and work on down to 10g. Work Mon-Fri, so I'd only have the weekend to put somethign in to hide them. That Kaos Soft Wear page only has 0g and up

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A piercing does not heal over the weekend. As a matter of fact, you'll want to leave the ring/ornament in for a while until the wound cures. It is a form of mutilation, after all.

What you'll want to do is rotate the ring a bit once a day and put on some bactine to prevent infection (dab it on with a q-tip). Also get some zinc tablets at a vitamin store. They'll help with the healing.

I'd advise against stretching the ears, though. Once yo stretch, you're stuck. Of course, that's just my opinion.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, could I have them pierced with a retainer or some sort of fletch color plug?

I'm looking around and see nothing. I know someone has to make something that will hide it until it heals. Even if I have to wear flesh colored plugs. Just something so I can keep my job, but have my ears pierced like I've wanted to do for about ten years now.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you must think about what is more important. The job that pays a bunch more than your last one, or the ear piercing. Is it worth giving up that ampeg 6x10? It's just jewelry, and I know it's cool and stuff, but getting a good job is worth it. I wish that was the only thing keeping me from getting a better job.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, I realize the job is far more important, but this is something I've put off for so long, and when I found out I'm up for the job, then I put this off for so long, until after I got the job.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Easy, tiger.

I didn't get a piercing until I was 26. Quit wearing it when I turned 30. Don't worry, you got time.

Haste makes waste.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont stretch untill you can really do it. My friends that have tried stretching have told me that its a really constant 24 hours kinda thing. They leave the plugs in all the time.

As for normal piercings, there are plenty of plugs you can find at piercing shops and all around town. My GF just got some for her eyebrow since she started a new job that required she remove her piercings.

At my HS people would use fishing line or some other clear plastic line. It seems to work good.

12. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    IMO, if you only want to go to 10 guage rings, have them pierced at 10. I had mine done at 12 guage and stretched to 00 over a year or two. I've been wearing 4 guage large rings for a few years now and they've shrunk back to about 0-2 guage.

Your new piercings will NOT heal over the weekend. If you take that ring they pierce it with out and start messing with it two days after it's pierced, expect it to become infected, develop keloids, or take extremely long to heal. I don't know any piercer who would agree to put a retainer in a new piercing. Every one I know insists on stainless steel in a fresh piercing, for ease of healing (which is EXTREMELY important in any body modification process.)

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You really should be using surgical steel for a new piercing, not acrylic or any other substance. You will want to leave them in at least 3 weeks, if not longer before switching to non-surgical steel jewelry. So the short answer, I wouldnt recomend doing it if your going to have to put acrylic or the like in the fresh piercings. Those types of materials absorb sweat and bacteria and all kinds of things that could cause infection. On a side note, using organic jewelry, bone, wood ect after the piercings are well healed with keep them from smelling bad over time. Sometimes surgical steel can really develop a funk from all the sweat that sits on the surface.

And BTW, just get pierced with 10ga to begin with, save the trouble of stretching, and ears dont hurt all that bad at all. I got my tongue done with a 10ga to start with, your ears will be nothing hehe.

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    all of the above, plus-
    you cannot get pierced with plugs. it would require cutting away flesh from your earlobe.

15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    All piercing does.

Even a gauge 16 needle is a hollow tube that removes a core of flesh... the bigger ones just remove more.

I had a load of piercings that I removed about eight years ago. They're all still very visible

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Looks to me like your only real choice is wearing bandaids over the piercings for a couple of weeks at work until they heal.

If anyone asks, just tell them that your ferret nibbles on your ears while you sleep. :hyper: :D

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The idea that I could changed to plugs after a few days is a heavily circulated idea among my friends. One who now has 5/8 an inch after only two months, heavily insist on it. I'll talk with the local shop, and see what they have to say. The local shop I'm talking to will only start upto 14g.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know nothing about piercings, but I'm really suprised that nobody has commented on how restrictive that "casual" dress code is!! :eek:

In fact, I think it would be illegal in Britain and most European countries!!??

So, in many religions it is part of their worship that men do not cut their hair and it is compulsory to grow a beard - Sikhs for example - and in England, I know that it is illegal to discriminate against people on religious grounds!

Having said that, if I was interviewing somebody who had stretched their ears with piercing(s), I'd turn them down flat - just wouldn't tell them why!! ;)

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Go to a different shop.

On another note, going to 5/8" in two months is NOT a good idea. Your ears will split and tear and you could cause some major damage to yourself doing that. You should wait 4-6 weeks between stretchings, you should always use surgical steel in unhealed piercings (put whatever you want in them once they are healed), and you shouldnt skip guages cept the few smaller than 8ga or so.

I have 14mm hole in my ears (hair over half inch), and 4ga plugs above those. It took me almost two years to get to this size, and I would NOT recomend going faster to this size.

Sounds to me like your friends giving you advice took the fast track and took risks I wouldnt recomend to anyone. You CAN do it, but its quite possible you could cause damage that will require surgery to repair. Like I said previously, find a shop that will do them at 10ga to start, and just leave them alone. No reason to take any more risks than are necessary in something like this.

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Three words: Prince Albert.