Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question: Yamaha TRB 1006 6 String Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Ce, May 12, 2005.

1. Playas,

I've got a question for you, I have been thinking of getting another bass to add my modest stable of 2. I was thinking of a Yamaha TRB 1006 6 String. I have done some research on my own, I have played an older Yamaha 6 string of which I thought was nice but this was some time ago. That bass had some issues. :crying:

I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that has this bass or if they could pass on some good "real world" info on TRB basses. I'd like to know what you think. Thanks for any info you can share!

Peace
    Big Ce :bassist:
    MM Fender Jazz
    TUNEBass TWB53 5 String

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

It may be just me, but when I test drove both the old TRB5II and the TRB1005 I thought the preamp / electronics on the new TRB1005 sounded harsh and nowhere near as balanced as the older model. To me, it sounded spitty and forward-sounding like a transistor radio (overemphasizing a bit to get the point across).

Could be sample to sample variation, but I think they've changed the preamp board. I liked everything about the TRB1005 except..... the sound.

3. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    trbs are good basses. older ones are better IMO.

by the way how do you like your korean tune?

4. fretbuzz85

fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    Erm, since we're on the topic of yamaha basses, id like to ask a few questions.
    Im interested in the TRB 5 string fretless and i would like to know if its worth it at 1,088 USD. The bass is kinda light overall. I wonder what kinda wood it is.

Also, i played it and to me, it wasnt intended to be a fretless. Well, the action was too high overall and it was quite high at the nut area. Its as if halfway in the production line, they decided they needed a few fretlesses, so they filled in the slots and it was ready to go. So, im wonderin if i may be making a wrong choice buyin this fretless TRB

5. Artistanbul, I love my TUNE! :hyper: It's a great bass, It has a modern sound with the stock strings. I am going to swap out the stock strings for DR Fat Beams 5 string set. I can't wait to see how that will change the sound I'm looking for a tight B and alotta punch!!! :cool:

Take Care Stay Safe!!!

Peace
    Big Ce :bassist: