Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I was wondering...

if one were to house 2 bridge j pickups in the bridge position, and made it to where you could turn the pickup that was NOT in the traditional j position off, would you have a traditional j tone with it off and a stingray-ish tone with it on?

if this sounds stupid i apologize.

2. It's been done more then once!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i was wondering if if were in the same casing

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    :(

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The lakland 55-02/55-94 has this type of setup. The bart MM style pup is actually two side by side J's, and you can select neck side/bridge side or both. Together with the neck J you can get a huge variety of sounds.

That wasn't a Lakland advert, just saying where I'd seen it done :) I'm not sure if you can buy that pup though, IIRC it's a special Bart model for Lakland. You could ask the Bart distributor, mr Wagner (contact info on http://www.bartolini.net)

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i am wanting to use this in a "custom bass";)

to me the lakland doesnt do so hot at the stingray sound or the jazz bridge thing. dont get me wrong i like the bass and all i just want something to NAIL it you know?