Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesbond, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Jamesbond

Dec 6, 2003
    San Diego
    My teenage son has a Fender Jazz Delux V (MIM). When does he need to replace strings? He had it for more than a year. He plays regularly like once a week with his band.

second question is what kind string is good for his bass?

thanks for advice
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    That all depends on him??? What sound is he after, how oily are his hands, how much does he sweat.....

I like DR highbeams. Thats on a G&L tribute
  3. Really he needs to replace the strings when he feels they don't sound good to him anymore. Some people prefer the new sound, some a somewhat-dead sound and some a dead sound. All about preference. As for what kind, depends on what sound he likes. I'm no string expert so I can't answer the question on what ones, but there are other knowledgeable people here on TB to answer that. This might also do better in the Strings forum with a better title than "question". (not trying to sound like an ass, sorry if I am).

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guess would be, since he doesnt really remember the sound of new strings any more (since they are soold) to get him new strings (cant really recomend a kind, sorry) and see if he likes the new string sound. If not, then he'll use them for a while, and if he likes that mediumly new sound, thats good, and he should replace the strings whenever THAT sound goes too dead. If he really likes the dead dead sound, he should keep the strings for as long as he wants, i guess.