1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.Reed, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Would it be possible to turn a guitar into a bass I found just a body is like on ebay with no pick ups or anything

Attached Files:

2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Anything is possible with enough time and money.

3. Yes, I've seen somewhere someone converted an Epiphone Les Paul into a bass. I'm sure some will be able to find an image to put on here.

rufus.K likes this.
  4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The limiting factor would be how far back you could mount the bridge. This will determine how long a scale you could obtain. The measurement from bridge saddles to 12 fret have to be the same as 12th fret to the nut of the neck, give or take a bit for intonation.

rufus.K likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

This. First thought when I saw that body was "How far out is the neck gonna reach when you have to mount the bridge at the point of the cutout?"

I'm sure it can be done. But you may have to make adjustments for the strap buttons to make it playable.

6. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It should work...
    But you are going to need a router to re-shape the neck pocket to fit the heel.
    You'll probably want a 24 fret neck to ensure the bridge will have some body to mount to.
    You will have those ugly bridge mount holes to look at unless you plug and refinish
    or else cover them up with pickguard or something.
    For those existing pickup routes you will need to find bass humbuckers to fit.
    Those probably won't fall under any of the good bass harmonic nodes for pickups
    Of course you could always re-rout for whatever pickups wherever you wanted.

But yeah.... it can be done. It will likely be a neck-diver.

How good are you with a router and making templates/jigs?

7. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. :)

8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I love these sort of projects. Do it. Bridge bein far back enough is super important. Cut a block to go into the crotch of the body's Vee shape if you run out of length for the bridge

9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The shorter scale the neck the less trouble you'll have with bridge location.