Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by McHack, Apr 14, 2004.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    There's all kinds of threads concerning P-bass pickups, J-bass pickups,, MM pickups, etc...

BUT, what I'm having problems finding information on is,,, P-J combinations... Does anyone have any experience replacing these, or am I safe to assume the P & J threads can give me all I need...
  2. You can probably find what you need looking at the P and J threads. Some manufacturers sell P-J sets and some don't.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I noticed that some folks are selling P-J combos now... and that's really the point of my post... Nobody really reviews THOSE...

I mean,, I suppose I could just grab a qtr pound J & P & an aggie OBP-3 & have a go at it...
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    when and if I change the pickups in my Ibanez I'm going with a P/J set from Bill Lawrence

I found some good info on P/J set ups at Bill's section of the Fender Info-Base

just click and read through the Bill's Wilde-Gate section
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sigh, after reading that I'm more concerned... How many people have built a korina bodied explorer, w/ PJ pickups?

I guess these'd be a good starting point, in combination w/ an active pre as any... They're not too costly, anyway,,, & THAT's a good thing... I discussed this w/ a local custom builder & he thought I should put active EMG's into it...

I AM leaning towards an Aggie OBP-3, however... I think I can only get 4 holes in Warmoth's explorers, & that's fine...

I want my control config to be as follows:
    1) volume (push/pull on/off)
    2) blend
    3) mid (push/pull mid select)
    4) stacked treble/bass
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, after much obsessing, it sure seems like I'm down to two choices....

1) The BL P/J's (Mostly on Spedds advice)
    2) DiMarzio P/J's

I'm ruling out the SD hots or Qtr Pounders, because after read thier information,,, I get the impression that the Hot-P & Hot-J,,, or Qtr-P & Qtr-J may not go well together... I know all P's have more output, but based upon SD's documentation,, it seems like its rather substantial....

The BL's ARE matched... The DM's are as well... They both have stand stock poll & mounting positions...

I'm still leaning towards an Aggie OBP-3, w/ the above listed control configs.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm going to be rewiring an Ibanez Soundgear with Dimarzio Model P/J's and they're sweet pickups. I'm definately a Dimarzio guy for that vintage vibe when you roll off the tone, or pretty funky when you don't. They're great pickups, especially for the price, and since they have 4 conductors, I'm thinking about going crazy with the controls... series/parallel between the P pickup, and the set and blah blah blah, I need more switches :)
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Until I started carving, all I played were PJs cause I like low end Ibanez SGR basses and they come in PJ PJ PJ or PJ, whatever you prefer. I'll be doing a Dimento PJ Exp. after the Jazz. Still have a bunch and still is my configuration of choice cause to me you get the best balanced, broad spectrum, useable variety of tones (folks at Ibanez aren't dumb). Manufacturers have been making PJ combo's for years and I doubt there are any that make bass pups that don't sell PJ's cause they sell P's and they sell J's.

Have a set of Bart PJs that are pretty killer. EMG actives are different but very useable and were my first transplants - still have 'em and have sold a half dozen more sets - they just seem to keep showing up (in fact I've got a set going out tomorrow). SDs will knock your socks off on the bottom end and low mid but top end is over the top. Have some Dimarzio DP 126's but haven't tried them without switching yet but I'm going to. Have a set of English Reflex (no longer made to my knowledge) that are very useable (at least with their preamp). All that comes to mind. I'd say you'd be ahead of many other configurations choosing about any quality PJ setup. You may have to take a bit of wood off the J routing. Never had a problem with any P dropping in.

There are also tons of reviews @ active bass and harmony central.
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You're awesome, Loookin'. You'll have to let me know what you come up with....

Interestingly, I got all frustrated & called the folks at Warmoth for some advice... We jaw'd for quite a while,, this combo, vs this combo, vs this scenario,, etc...

I'm just concerned that a SD Hot P has ALOT more output than an SD Hot J,, at least according thier specs. Then, I kept waffling back to the DM's... & then he offered,, maybe you should try the DM Ultra J's... This peaked my interest, because of Smash's reviews on 'em...

Then, I had an epiphony,,,,,,,,, or maybe was given one...Why shouldn't I try an SD Hot P,, & maybe a DM Ultra J for the bridge... Seemed like an interesting idea...
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got a PJ set from Bartolini, put em in my Godin, they are awesome. Great funk tone, nice growl if i dig in harder, could just be the Ampeg though, but man i love these pups.
  11. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Actually, I should have specified on the Duncans but I always have to go look the damn P up cause I can never remember the ID. But I was particularly referring to the Hot P and hotstack J, SPB-2 and STK-J2. But as rule, Duncan puts out a lot of those 6,000 horsepower pups so I was throwing that out generically even though I actually don't know from experience - yet.

Personally I didn't have any balance ouput trouble with mine. The highs were just so brittle in the bass I had them in that I couldn't utilize much of the treble pot. It's not a rounded high at all - it's a rocket launch high. But talk about fat on the low end/mids. I'd read all about the fat Aggie preamps and I've got a GS112 that's sort of a cab version so I thought the sound was comeing from the OBP 1 I had in the bass. When I started converting to outboard preamps and pulled the OB I quickly found the sound was not in the OB at all, it was in those pups. The OB was actually a fairly anemic preamp, especially compared to a Bart NTBT. I've since sold both preamps cuase I'm going to all 3 band and I just got an OBP 3 in today, mainly for my own curiosity to see if it's as thin as the OBP 1 was.

For what it's worth, I tend to stick with manufacturers when I can. I've only mixed pup manufacturers a couple times with unimpressive results to date, but unimpressive results are definitely the norm no matter what. But I figure that manufacturers design their stuff to work together cause they obviously want people to by it so they don't have to get a real job, so I pretty much keep their pups together and use their preamps on their pups if they make them, although preamps seem to work fairly well generically. But I plan to get around to mixing pups in the future. So it you go that route, I'd like to know the outcome.