Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question.............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Jul 1, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Do all boutique bass makers make good instruments or are there any out there that are flat out busts! Not sure if Wishnevsky's fall under the category of 'busts' but I wouldn't put them in a high end category! Opinions?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Everyone's going to have different opinions.. I think my Conklins are the cat's meow, but there are some I'm sure who would think they're crap..

No, I wouldn't consider Wishy a boutique bass maker.

"Builder of interesting stringed art" maybe...

BTW, where you at in Newport News? I lived there for about five years.. I really miss Busch Gardens!!! :D

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My recommendation is to research any maker before buying from them. Look for postings here and other web sites. Learn as much as you can before you buy. There are many great builders out there and they often have loyal customers that are happy to talk about their purchases.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm on Eastwood Dr. down in the Denbigh area. I'm actually from NY. Only been here 3 years.

5. Hey Mark, I used to live in Williamsburg VA (back when Busch Gardens first opened) and in Huntsville AL. You're not following me, are you?

Mike

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    *Quickly hides "Welcome to Omaha" brochure*

Ummmm... no, not at all!!! :ninja:

:p

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not all boutique builders/basses are created equal. Preferences do differ, and what might be right for one player (with respect to feel and tone) might not be right for the next. Nevertheless, I've seen a LOT of basses that "look" boutique, but are WAY overpriced for what they are. I've often seen where someone will come up with a fancy design or will use a ton of laminations or beautiful, extremely figured hardwoods on a bass, only for the thing to weigh a ton or to sound dead and lifeless. I think that anyone who has been to NAMM can attest to this fact. A fancy design and a pretty top do not make a bass boutique, in my opinion. Proper balance, perfect nut and fretwork, an expert setup, and killer tone (in addition to pleasing aesthetics) DO make a bass boutique.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks! That is what I was getting at. And I know you've seen and played hundreds of basses and I wouldn't want you to name manufacturers.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Play as many as you can. Make up your own mind. It's like anything else in life. Everybody likes something a bit different than the next person

Rob

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm not in the market for a boutique bass at this time. It was just a general question. I wanted to hear opinions by the experts. ;)

11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I can attest to having played alot of high end boutique basses that ranged from high quality to crap for the money. I am talking about basses in the $2500.00 to 4500.00 range. To me, any bass that you are going to pay that much money for should be perfect as far as playability, craftsmenship, balance, all of the things that JPJ said. But I have found that this is not always the case. Remember that the cost of making a "hand made bass" far exceeds that of high production basses and they come with more flaws. I remember purchasing a bass built by a known pioneer in the bass community, there were so many flaws with the bass I took it back after three days of playing it; I was disgusted.

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't, but you can rest assured that none of them are at BHB!!! :D I think that your question is perfectly legit, and just another good reason why it is so important to do good research before you buy, especially if you're not in the habbit of dropping two or three grand on a bass every couple of months. ;)

13. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Fully agree. I have found that many boutique basses cost way more to make (and buy!) but don't have a substantial impact on my sound.

What's funny to me is how many boutique basses these days seem to be similar: ash body, figured top, 5-string, with barts.