Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackBassPlayer, Jan 4, 2005.

1. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Yea umm...I was wanting to know if a 5 string bass with a "vintage" sound would still sound right playing Heavy Metal and Rock songs and stuff? Because I just bought a 5 string bass and in the description it said something about having a vintage sound or something. Would that make a difference when playing Heavy Metal and Rock?

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Vintage sound is just what it implies...vintage, as in old, original. Think Fender basses and Ampeg SVT's through 15's.

It would probably sound perfect for rock, metal, etc.

But what kind is it? Most newer basses do not give a vintage sound. It sounds more like marketing hype.

3. two things:

1.) Love the name :)
    2.) Welcome to Talkbass!

Okay with regards to 'vintage' sound, when i think of that term, the first thing i think of is the fender sound.
    In my opinion, that fender sound will go great with anything.

We would be glad to help you out, by telling us what bass you have and what sound you would like to approach

4. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    The bass is made by Essex or SX for short.

EDIT

Thanks. xD

5. [​IMG]

is that it?

looks like more of a jazz bass. thats why you get a vintage tone...but sure why not? you probably get some good pops out of it for harder rock and ****.

6. Oh yeah man, SX are quite popular here, great quality at a low priceline.

If you either a Precision or Jazz copy it would cope well in a Rock or Metal setting, you could modify if your not entirely happy with your sound (change string types, pickups, add a preamp, etc etc)

7. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    This is the one im getting:

[​IMG]

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yeah essex are good basses. It wont have too vintage of a tone, its just implied that it will be somewhat older sounding due to the Alder body and jazz pups.

9. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Ok so it shouldnt sound odd or anything while playing rock and metal? And thanks a lot guys for the help.

10. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    If that's the one you're getting, shouldn't your name be "TobaccoBrownSunburstBassPlayer"? :D

11. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    xD I would rather it be black but didnt see any black basses like that. =\ And the reason why my name is BlackBassPlayer is because im black. xD But I like black basses to. Black is the color of the 4 string I currently have. lol

12. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Cool. Welcome to the forum! :bassist:

13. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Ok thanks. And I found a better page about the bass im getting: http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$IC125EYAAAIDTTZENUGUTIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1459086

I guess that would help a little more about if it will sound right and stuff. =\