Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Staindfan10, May 20, 2001.

1. Staindfan10

Staindfan10

Jan 20, 2001
    When should you change your strings and what strings are the best? i got my bass like 3 months ago.
    thanx

-Justin

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your ear and the amount of finger time you've got on them are the determining factors, not the calendar. Some people might only pick up their bass only a 6-7 times a week in 3 months.

Some bassists, (like Entwistle), who demand a bright, piano string-like sound, (and who have the cash/get them free), change every time they go out.

Many, (like me), prefer them after they have been played about 30+ hours, and they get warmer, less bright, and more "middier." We'll change every 1-3 months.

A rare few notable bassists claim to change a couple times a decade.

Let your ear tell you when they sound like they're beginning to sound too dead and lifeless.

3. Dont you love it when flats first get worn in? They just go from bright to super mellow just like that *snaps* its great

And the tone just gets better and better

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

tall - I know what you mean, even with the "Marcus" roundwounds I use primarily. I might even pay extra if they would offer sets that were pre-played at the factory for about 20 hours. ;)