Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 9, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ok, heres the scenario:

I was going to pick up a used EA CXL 112 with an iamp 350 for about 750 USD. However, the iamp has been sold, and he is now getting in a markbass S450. The cost is going to be about $100 extra, and it has an extra 100 watts. He told me that if i eventually want to grab a second cab and get loud with a band, the iamp 350 wouldnt cut it, and that the markbass 450 would.

I like to play hard rock and a bit of metal, so think mainly sabbath, hendrix, but also a bit of maiden, metallica, etc. If i do pick up another cab down the road, it would be whatever size i would need it to be to get loud enough. I play a G&L L-2000, and ive heard that both markbass and EA are good at transparency, which is good because i like the sound of my bass.

Anyways, the question at hand is: How powerful is the iamp350? Strong enough to be heard in a loud band? What about the markbass S450? Strong enough to be heard in a loud band? Worth the extra price? I'm not looking to cut through, but i dont want to be non-existent either, simply to be heard. And dont tell me to not get the 112, i love it and my mind is already made up on it. This pertains purely to heads.

Thanks!

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    bump

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    bump

yeesh.

Have i hit the threshold of talkbass knowledge?

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have no experience with either markbass, or the iamp 350, however I do have an EA cxl-112 and have owned an iamp 800 before. The cxl-112 works fine for smallish gigs. I've used mine with quite a few differing heads, and it seems to do fine for me with as little as 250 watts or so depending on the gig. Works phenomenally well with my newish thunderfunk 550. But this is for me. Your needs will probably vary some.

I would try out the markbass and see if it floats your boat. Don't get rushed into buying it unless it is definitely what you want.

PS: I find myself using the 112 more as a practice cab and as a compliment to my nl 210 here lately. Those two cabs really play nicely together.

PPS: My post really didn't address your question, just thought I should add something since you'd bumped it twice! ;)

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I replied to your other thread, so I'll be more brief here.

I've got a Markbass Little Mark II powering one or two 12s as needed. It's good and loud, but then again I don't need a huge ammt of volume. Still, it cuts through my 20 piece big band.

The S450 is about the same power as my amp (a little less) so I'd say you can expect enough volume for those styles of music as long as you don't have to compete with a couple guitarists who love their full stacks too much ;)

I can't speak for the EA, so you're really going to have to try as much as you can for yourself to see what works.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't tried either the iAMP 350 or any Markbass gear, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help, here. I am, however, interested in hearing from others who have tried them both. I'm a big fan of "too much" power, though.

7. I actually really liked my old iAmp350. I liked it so much that I 'upgraded' to the iAmp800. Very different sounding heads... I greatly prefered the 'analog' 350 head personally... more mid punch and warmth to my ear when I A/B'd them way back when. The 350 is a very nice sounding head.

However, the older Cx series EA cabs weigh a ton, so be careful there. I had the original iAmp combo with the 350 and the Cxl110.... it sounded good, but it was so, so, so heavy... must have been 70 pounds!

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Well, from what I hear (from Dave & posts on this forum) the Mark Bass is great, especially for the money. He always touted EA as well, until he ceased to be a dealer. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

I've had 2 EA 350s and a CXL-112 and a CXL-110 (in the combo).

IIRC, you need 10X the wattage to double your volume. I'm not sure how significant the 100 watt difference would be between the EA & the mark bass. And manufacturers do not necessarily measure power the same way - some are more conservative, etc.

Too bad you couldn't A & B them side by side into the same cab - that would tell you better than comparing specification numbers.

Here's a TB thread that deals with wattage and loudness:

Wattage Importance Thread