Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dain bramage, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I'll be getting a bass VERY soon, and I wonder how long most of you were playing before you decided to start or join a band. I'm thinking 6 months or so. I want to start a punk/hard rock band later on with me as the bassist and backup vocalist. So how long for you guys?
    Ps, I'm 15 years old.

2. The second I got a bass I was in a band.

I'm just that good. ;)

I knew a drummer and a guitarist, so I did the bass thing.

3. Too bad the only musician I know is a drummer that's already in a band... and a bassist that's in a band, but that won't help because I play bass.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was in a band within a week of getting my first bass. Boy, did I suck! I suck less now.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had somebody show me where C, F and G were on the bass, and played in church 15 minutes later.

The only key that the piano player could play in was C, and I have a good ear, so I did OK.

I am a little better now though.

6. I was in a band first, then started playing bass. There were many reasons why this band did not work out, but it would have been better if I had learned some of the basics first. So since you can - prepare.

7. Yes. I was in a band the moment I got my bass.

There's a joke in a thread somewhere but I forgot who said it.

A father buys his son a bass for his birthday and buys him some lessons to accompany it. The son comes back from his first lesson and the father says "What did you learn today, son?"
    The son says "I learnt the first 4 notes on the E-string."
    The next week the son comes back from his lesson and the father says "So what dod you learn today, son?" and the son says "I learnt the first 4 notes on the A string."
    The next week comes and the father says "Are you ready for me to take you to your lessons today?" and the son replies "Sorry, Dad. I can't go to lessons today. I have a gig."

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    there is no set time to wait.

i played with a few guys withing weeks of getting my first bass.

it's whenever you feel good enough to do it.

but my only advice is to find a group of guys that are more musically expereinced than you. why?

playing with better musicians will force you to grow and get better.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I was in a band before I got my first bass.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was in a band a week later, and playing live on TV 3 weeks after that. :eek:

11. It was a while, but I was younger than you when I started and had less players around to work with. I'd say, if you've got the bass, feel comfortable playing and know some players that are interested, the get started now! Sooner the better. You'll all grow musically together and be a lot tighter band. ;)

12. Thanks guys. I've known I've been getting a bass for a while. Yesterday I saw this band that goes to my school and I was inspired to get good and join a band. It'd be nice not to be the one everyone makes fun of for once. Plus I just love music so much that I need to be involved in it.

13. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I played in my first band after about 3 months of playing, though I wasn't very good. The band I was in (which is still my current band 2 1/2 years later) taught me a lot and progressed me quickly.

14. Same here.

I'm so sad that I listen to bass lines while trying to go to sleep.

15. I played guitar in the first few bands that I was in. Played bass as a back up in one. Bass has been my main instrument for about 2 years now and it's because I got into a band that needed a bass player. I'm liking it a lot more that I liked playing guitar.